deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Anyone Here Taking Preparations in Case of US Civil War?
My wife and I currenty live among a neigborhood of one percenters. We didnt pick the nighborhood to move here as back in 2017 we didnt have many choices in lieu of my wifes job. We left the Atlanta region to move here. Our 1st choice was to move to Greenville, SC  but we had to settle on the Columbia region. The neighborhood is lilly white and is a blend of native born South Carolina and the rest are out of state born in the USA citizens. 

We are also done with living here and will sell the home this year and move 17 miles towards the center of the state before the 2024 election. That location will be 100's of miles away from the larger cities including Charlotte, Columbia, Greenville and others. The lot is on a dead end cul de sac and is surrounded by water, Lake Murray. The neighbors are friendly and watch each others back. Assumming a civil war begins in this country that neighborhood would be my choice for protection and distance from large population centers. We own over an acre so we can grow food and have water access for irrigation and fishing. We arent what I would consider as preppers but we do make our moves based on strategic surroundings. In this neighborhood all are either hunters or fisherman. They also work hard and many are former US military. All own boats. 

Our current neighboorhood isnt like the above. IMO many traffic Fentanyl and much worse. The HOA is useless and scared. Assumming all hell breaks loose I would not feel comfortable living among them as I can see them turning on and eating each other as social elites are social elites. Plus they have kids in the twenty year old age group. 

So in brief I am not sayng all is well as all I am trying to do is the best for our safety without total disruption of our lives. We are closer to her employer, the people are nicer and many raise their own food. We will enjoy our life better. Many of our contractors are in the area and I have a source for range fed chickens and beef as a result. We have hunting and fishing gear, boom booms, bikes, a canoe and other non electric equipment. Toilets can be filled with buckets of water by hand if the city water ever shuts off. We can also boil water. We do have several solar panels and a portable Inverter with battery for a small chest frezzer. The home will have two fireplaces, one wood burning the other wood with a natural gas insert. Outside we have two grills. One gas and the other is a Belson Park Grill for charcoal or wood. Like our current home the new one will have a walk out ground floor. The temperature in the current home never drops below 60 degrees nor above 75 on the ground floor so if no power we can live there with minimal disruption.  We have never turned the HVAC on for that entire floor since 2017. Dirt is an  excellent insulator. 

I consider ourselves as lucky to the extreme as I can only pray for those in the cities as a resultbof the administrations policies. 

Were just bidening our time
Not much we can do. We  live in Wilmington DE.  The city.  Can't afford to move.  And even if we could move, where would we go?  People living in the countryside aren't safe either.  The cities will overflow and the hordes move out towards the 'burbs and farms etc looking for food and goods.  

We have some extra food and water.  Guns with ammo.  That'll last a few weeks.  I'm on prescription medicines and I only have a couple of weeks worth in the house.  Can't stockpile those.  And when those run out I'd wish I were dead anyways because my health situation would be that bad.  

Folks who think they can live off the land hunting or farming are in for a surprise.  Everyone else will be doing the same and the city folks will be over running the hunting land and farms wiping them out.  There will be nothing to stop them.

If civil war broke out, it would be a stink'n mess that wouldn't be fixed.  China would then invade and easily take over the big farmlands to farm for it's own people.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
I think the threat is overblown.

Almost every single state is a mix of liberals and conservatives, and the spectrum goes from extreme left to extreme right.  There's no single ideology that unites them into a solid core (something like a religion is usually the factor) and there's no way to tell who is who.  I could tell you in person that I was an ultra-conservative (I'm not) and you'd have no way of knowing that I was lying to save my skin (or whatever.)

However, ForeignPolicy.com disagrees with me: https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/02/18/how...ars-start/

An interesting quote from that site: "To make matters worse, as house speaker from 1995-1999, Newt Gingrich innovated a brilliant and democracy-destructive strategy for enabling his party to keep punching above its popular weight in the electorate: Just say no. Whereas Reagan considered someone who agreed with him 80 percent of the time to be a friend (not a traitor), Gingrich’s strategy forbade compromise, which is essential for any working democracy. Either Gingrich got everything he wanted or he refused to play."

tl;dr -- To stop a war, learn to compromise and to work within that compromise.

I'd like to think they were wrong.  A civil war will completely destroy every advance we've made for the past 248 years.  The rest of the world will do just fine, but we'll start seeing the most affluent and the most educated flee the country for other nations.  They'll do better for the influx of our money and our educated but America will fall into decline.

I think we need to focus more on getting along with each other and with trying to NOT have a civil war.
I like to think if another civil war got started, the independents, the silent majority, and the military would open that section in the field manual and smack down both extremist sides that started it. 

It's not going to happen anyway, and if it does I'd imagine it will quickly disintegrate into Mad Max, World War Z, Contagion, and Zombieland.

Honestly though depending on how fast we lose motorized transportation is gonna be key. Like I told my West Coast daughter and my Mid-West daughter if I got wheels I'll be trying to find you both, If I don't have wheels I'll still be trying but it's going to take longer. 

FWIW you never known which personality types will thrive an survive, but Id imagine you had better have basic outdoor skills and basic equipment.

I think the small country towns with geography on thier side will be fine, and after hearing some towns contingency plans for Y2K I know some will isolate themselves at the first sign of trouble. 

But no I don't have solid plans either, but if I got 2-3 days notice I got a chance to get somewhere and hole up. If we are stuck here we would be screwed, and it would feel like the Night of the Living Dead at some point. 

I do understand Waterglass has a prime setup I know South Carolina fairly well, I can skin a buck and run a trout line with good hunting and fishing all over the state. I always like Columbia Florence is beautiful country and in western SC I always loved Aiken SC.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
No profit in a new US Civil War. The last one made a lot of money for Dupont, but times have changed and Raython cant sell to both sides without shitting in their own yard.

I tell my commie mates that if the revolution happens, it will be an inside job.
I was not here.
If someone is wondering what natural medicines  might be good to have , i would say honey at least. 

one very good thing with honey is, that with quality honey and rigjht storage , honey wont have expiry date. It can stay good 1000 years. So in case of any situation where cant anymore go buying  medicines,  honey can  save the day " maybe'  with it's antimicrobial /antibiotic effect.

many say manuka honey is the most powerfull , but it's not  .....the most powerfull is Australian Jarrah honey , specially the higher TA 40-50  . So basically if wuld have that honey , it will stay ok for a lifetime in proper storage .

i actually ordered 2 jars of Jarrah honey directly from Australia last weekend ,  i hurt my leg in December, got deep wound that is still healing....i buyed the Jarrah honey for the wound, will put it 
as wound dressing to speed up healing.
I have to tell you that I'm far more concerned about the possibility of World War.  Hell, we're practically there now.    

I feel that some percentage of the left in the U.S. has been trying to ramp up the racial discord narrative in order to reinforce the divide between people.   Those that I know in smaller communities across the U.S. are not in strife;  they all know that they need each other to survive and there is little or no racial strife.    That is anecdotal information and therefore not measurable.  It only goes to somewhat support my ongoing thesis that cities are unnatural to the human condition.  

Toward WWIII, we have been in preparation for decades.   There is little that the common person can do, other than have radiation detection equipment/knowledge, a stock of open-pollinated seeds, water filtration, an ability to defend/protect your family, and perhaps knowledge of systems that might be barterable in the "end times".   Toward this end, I can make several types of booze from native plants, and do so.    Can also render nearly any creature into a serviceable sausage, for whatever that is worth.   I can make coconut oil, and therefore can make soap with it, ash and sea salt.    I don't know what those skills might be actually worth, because even in a sleepy little town like that in which I live, when everything goes belly up, it will likely be other people that are the greatest threat.   I hope that isn't the case.   I hope we all rise to the challenge, and forge a new world in which we can all get along and help those that most need it.
(01-29-2024, 10:18 AM)Waterglass Wrote: My wife and I currenty live among a neigborhood of one percenters. We didnt pick the nighborhood to move here as back in 2017 we didnt have many choices in lieu of my wifes job. We left the Atlanta region to move here. Our 1st choice was to move to Greenville, SC  but we had to settle on the Columbia region. The neighborhood is lilly white and is a blend of native born South Carolina and the rest are out of state born in the USA citizens. 

We are also done with living here and will sell the home this year and move 17 miles towards the center of the state before the 2024 election. That location will be 100's of miles away from the larger cities including Charlotte, Columbia, Greenville and others. The lot is on a dead end cul de sac and is surrounded by water, Lake Murray. The neighbors are friendly and watch each others back. Assumming a civil war begins in this country that neighborhood would be my choice for protection and distance from large population centers. We own over an acre so we can grow food and have water access for irrigation and fishing. We arent what I would consider as preppers but we do make our moves based on strategic surroundings. In this neighborhood all are either hunters or fisherman. They also work hard and many are former US military. All own boats. 

Our current neighboorhood isnt like the above. IMO many traffic Fentanyl and much worse. The HOA is useless and scared. Assumming all hell breaks loose I would not feel comfortable living among them as I can see them turning on and eating each other as social elites are social elites. Plus they have kids in the twenty year old age group. 

So in brief I am not sayng all is well as all I am trying to do is the best for our safety without total disruption of our lives. We are closer to her employer, the people are nicer and many raise their own food. We will enjoy our life better. Many of our contractors are in the area and I have a source for range fed chickens and beef as a result. We have hunting and fishing gear, boom booms, bikes, a canoe and other non electric equipment. Toilets can be filled with buckets of water by hand if the city water ever shuts off. We can also boil water. We do have several solar panels and a portable Inverter with battery for a small chest frezzer. The home will have two fireplaces, one wood burning the other wood with a natural gas insert. Outside we have two grills. One gas and the other is a Belson Park Grill for charcoal or wood. Like our current home the new one will have a walk out ground floor. The temperature in the current home never drops below 60 degrees nor above 75 on the ground floor so if no power we can live there with minimal disruption.  We have never turned the HVAC on for that entire floor since 2017. Dirt is an  excellent insulator. 

I consider ourselves as lucky to the extreme as I can only pray for those in the cities as a resultbof the administrations policies. 

Were just bidening our time

Not me or mine.

We're too old, too dependent on meds.

We'd be the first gone.
(01-30-2024, 08:23 PM)DBCowboy Wrote: Not me or mine.

We'd be the first gone.

That's me too.  When my meds ran out I'd be looking for someone to doubletap me with a 45 caliber.  I wouldn't be able to take it and I'd be a useless eater.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(01-31-2024, 06:40 AM)FlyersFan Wrote: That's me too.  When my meds ran out I'd be looking for someone to doubletap me with a 45 caliber.  I wouldn't be able to take it and I'd be a useless eater.

Sorry to all. Many of our relatives are card carrying Democrats from North Carolina. All of our nieces and nephews were born there but the parents are educated, smug we know better than you a holes. Lets just say clueless in Charlotte. In Raleigh too.

(01-30-2024, 08:23 PM)DBCowboy Wrote: Not me or mine.

We'd be the first gone.

Sorry DB. Our prayers for both of you