deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Advice on my new food lifestyle please - ommitting ultra processed foods
bananas aren't so bad. mash one up with a beaten egg then fry it to make pancakes. great with a bit of maple syrup and a slice or 2 of bacon.

ditch the potatoes for sweet potatoes, not quite so nice but they make a big difference to your body. sweet potato hash browns are rather nice with loads of black pepper in the mix.

if you get hungry try and eat more protein as it raises your metabolism slightly so your body burns it up better than other foods.
Dont forget a fair bit of fat too. your body needs it and it kills cravings stone dead. Avocado is great, grass fed meat is also good and oily fish, eat the skin of the salmon and mackerel.
(02-04-2024, 02:12 PM)quintessentone Wrote: Lol Really try the sitting on the floor getting up exercise and help yourself up using the floor as resistance first, but work your way up to not using anything to get up, it's suppose to be all you need and you can do it at work.

I've switched to snacking on apples, considering there are so many different types why not try the honey crisp organic ones - they are very very good.

When I come back on here to report I've got a hernia, we'll know who to blame! Lol Lol  I forgot about apples! I do like a nice red apple, but I can't stand the skin! Gets all in my teeth, but yeah, I could alternate apples.

(02-04-2024, 04:09 PM)sprocketuk Wrote: bananas aren't so bad. mash one up with a beaten egg then fry it to make pancakes. great with a bit of maple syrup and a slice or 2 of bacon.

ditch the potatoes for sweet potatoes, not quite so nice but they make a big difference to your body. sweet potato hash browns are rather nice with loads of black pepper in the mix.

if you get hungry try and eat more protein as it raises your metabolism slightly so your body burns it up better than other foods.
Dont forget a fair bit of fat too. your body needs it and it kills cravings stone dead. Avocado is great, grass fed meat is also good and oily fish, eat the skin of the salmon and mackerel.

Banana and egg?? [Image: ats2501_puke.gif] Not something I'd put together, but I'll give it a try! And I think I may be having too much protein! I love meat! Could eat it all day! I have meat everyday at some point. And eggs. But that was my original problem. I'm not getting hungry, but the calorie count is so low. Just worried I'm messing up my body somehow.
(02-04-2024, 04:57 PM)MissBeck Wrote: When I come back on here to report I've got a hernia, we'll know who to blame! Lol Lol  I forgot about apples! I do like a nice red apple, but I can't stand the skin! Gets all in my teeth, but yeah, I could alternate apples.

Banana and egg?? [Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...1_puke.gif] Not something I'd put together, but I'll give it a try! And I think I may be having too much protein! I love meat! Could eat it all day! I have meat everyday at some point. And eggs. But that was my original problem. I'm not getting hungry, but the calorie count is so low. Just worried I'm messing up my body somehow.

not being hungry is fine, honestly, don't focus too much on calories, if you need more you will hunger for them, trust your body.

Those banana pancakes struck me as strange too until I tried them. They are both easier than normal pancakes to make and taste awesome too.
if its a big banana you might need two eggs.
It's all worth a try until you find what works for you. BTW a tip with fruit; I find organic fruit is far superior to the regular mainstream stuff they try to pass off as fruit in the supermarket.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-05-2024, 05:23 AM)sprocketuk Wrote: not being hungry is fine, honestly, don't focus too much on calories, if you need more you will hunger for them, trust your body.

Those banana pancakes struck me as strange too until I tried them. They are both easier than normal pancakes to make and taste awesome too.
if its a big banana you might need two eggs.

Oh I'll definitely try it. I'm open to anything that will vary my diet. Thumbup

(02-05-2024, 10:21 AM)quintessentone Wrote: It's all worth a try until you find what works for you. BTW a tip with fruit; I find organic fruit is far superior to the regular mainstream stuff they try to pass off as fruit in the supermarket.

Yeah, luckily for me, the charity I work for is centred around gardening, so once the growing season is underway all my fruit and veg will be literally hours old when I bring it home We don't use any pesticides or sprays at all. There is also Essington Fruit Farm, which is only about 10 mins from where I live. I'm also trying out different butchers that are local to me as well because I really don't trust supermarket meat to be honest. There are a lot of farms around me as well, but I'm not sure if they have shops as most are off the beaten track.
(02-05-2024, 10:36 AM)MissBeck Wrote: Oh I'll definitely try it. I'm open to anything that will vary my diet. Thumbup

Yeah, luckily for me, the charity I work for is centred around gardening, so once the growing season is underway all my fruit and veg will be literally hours old when I bring it home We don't use any pesticides or sprays at all. There is also Essington Fruit Farm, which is only about 10 mins from where I live. I'm also trying out different butchers that are local to me as well because I really don't trust supermarket meat to be honest. There are a lot of farms around me as well, but I'm not sure if they have shops as most are off the beaten track.

I live in the rural area so I find farmer's produce in many country stores, some farms preserve/can their produce and some stores stock that too; they all need to make a buck any way they can these days.

I stick with the unprocessed meat, so it requires cooking but I'm okay with cooking.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-05-2024, 11:11 AM)quintessentone Wrote: I live in the rural area so I find farmer's produce in many country stores, some farms preserve/can their produce and some stores stock that too; they all need to make a buck any way they can these days.

I stick with the unprocessed meat, so it requires cooking but I'm okay with cooking.

I just tried that standing up unaided malarky!! Tumble I sort of had to bend my legs at at odd angle to get up! I didn't know what to do with my arms!! Lol But I did it. I'll go for 2 tomorrow! [Image: ats2490_clowndance.gif] [Image: ats2488_breakdance.gif]
10 years ago or so (time flies...) I was diagnosed with diabetes and I was a lot above my "natural" weight, so I decided to lose weight.
After several Internet searches I decided to keep on eating what I used to eat, only adding vegetables and fruit to my diet and eating between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and diner.

I changed the percentages and quantities of what I used to eat, so instead of adding a lot of rice I started adding some vegetables to replace most of the rice and eat only a small quantity (around a table spoon) of rice, ending up with a plate in which one half was vegetables and the other half split between carbs (usually rice) and meat or fish.

One of the conclusions I reached was that counting calories does not work that well, so I tried to reduce my food intake little by little until I started to get hungry before the time for my next meal, as that would mean that I was eating too little at the previous meal. Adjusting that I reached an amount of food intake that is so close to what I need that, on colder days, I have to eat a little more.

To help the diet I started walking (I only walked from home to work and vice versa, which was less than a kilometre per day) at least during 20 minutes (around a kilometre, at a slow pace) each day, and after a few days I started walking more and more. On Saturdays, sometimes, I do longer walks (my record is 12 kilometres, a 3+ hour walk).

With all that I lost around 30 Kg and (with the help of medication) got my diabetes under control.  Smile

PS: eating too much fruit (and fruit with a high percentage of sugar, like bananas and grapes) could lead to diabetes (that happened to my grandmother), eating the fruit along with some fibre (I usually eat a piece of bread) to slow the absorption rate of the sugar.

PPS: about "natural weight". One thing I found in my searches was that most people talk about the (useless) theoretical weight, as if we were made on a production line. Some people talk about "natural weight", and say it's the weight our body "likes", and for most people is close to the weight we had when we reached adulthood. Obviously things vary from person to person.
(02-05-2024, 04:43 PM)MissBeck Wrote: I just tried that standing up unaided malarky!! Tumble I sort of had to bend my legs at at odd angle to get up! I didn't know what to do with my arms!! Lol But I did it. I'll go for 2 tomorrow! [Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...ndance.gif] [Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...kdance.gif]

Yeah those pesky arms always seem to get in the way.  Rolleyes  You figured it out obviously.

Work that core - the core is everything.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-06-2024, 07:52 AM)ArMaP Wrote: 10 years ago or so (time flies...) I was diagnosed with diabetes and I was a lot above my "natural" weight, so I decided to lose weight.
After several Internet searches I decided to keep on eating what I used to eat, only adding vegetables and fruit to my diet and eating between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and diner.

I changed the percentages and quantities of what I used to eat, so instead of adding a lot of rice I started adding some vegetables to replace most of the rice and eat only a small quantity (around a table spoon) of rice, ending up with a plate in which one half was vegetables and the other half split between carbs (usually rice) and meat or fish.

One of the conclusions I reached was that counting calories does not work that well, so I tried to reduce my food intake little by little until I started to get hungry before the time for my next meal, as that would mean that I was eating too little at the previous meal. Adjusting that I reached an amount of food intake that is so close to what I need that, on colder days, I have to eat a little more.

To help the diet I started walking (I only walked from home to work and vice versa, which was less than a kilometre per day) at least during 20 minutes (around a kilometre, at a slow pace) each day, and after a few days I started walking more and more. On Saturdays, sometimes, I do longer walks (my record is 12 kilometres, a 3+ hour walk).

With all that I lost around 30 Kg and (with the help of medication) got my diabetes under control.  Smile

PS: eating too much fruit (and fruit with a high percentage of sugar, like bananas and grapes) could lead to diabetes (that happened to my grandmother), eating the fruit along with some fibre (I usually eat a piece of bread) to slow the absorption rate of the sugar.

PPS: about "natural weight". One thing I found in my searches was that most people talk about the (useless) theoretical weight, as if we were made on a production line. Some people talk about "natural weight", and say it's the weight our body "likes", and for most people is close to the weight we had when we reached adulthood. Obviously things vary from person to person.
Wow! What a great personal story! Thank you! And some great tips.
I must admit, I only eat the fruit because normally at work all I used to eat was digestive biscuits, and my lunch of course, and figured the fruit was healthier than the biscuits, even though I'm aware of the sugar content in fruit. I actually took 2 tiny oranges today, but didn't enjoy them at all. I could eat grapes like sweets, but I'd ran out of all other fruit today. By 10.30am I was actually hungry, so ate half my sandwich!

(02-06-2024, 09:26 AM)quintessentone Wrote: Yeah those pesky arms always seem to get in the way.  Rolleyes  You figured it out obviously.

Work that core - the core is everything.

Yeah, I've got to find mine first though. Lol Lol It's in there somewhere.