deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Advice on my new food lifestyle please - ommitting ultra processed foods
Evening all!
I want a bit of advice regarding a change in my eating habits I've made for the new year. Basically, I'm trying to avoid all ultra processed foods, and mainly eating fruit, veg, meats, eggs and a bit of fish. I've cut out white bread, which I loved, and now make my own wholemeal bread in my breadmaker, and I eat 2 sandwiches a week, so four slices a week (I only make a small loaf). I've also swapped white rice for brown, and normal pasta for wholewheat pasta. Still have milk (Skimmed)

Now, so far it's been going okay. I've lost 11 pounds since January 1st, although I can't see it in the mirror yet. But...I downloaded an app called 'Weight Loss' by the NHS. This recommends I eat 1700 calories a day, and I am finding this impossible!! I am lucky to be touching 1000 a day, and 250 of that is drinks! I really do log everything down in the app, even to a sneaky strawberry Quality Street. So does anyone know if by NOT reaching this calorie target I'm stressing my body out?

I know I'm deficient in Vitamin D and Folic Acid as shown in recent blood work done in December 2023, and my Dr has put me on supplements for them, but apart from that I'm hoping this new diet will boost those again through a correct diet.

My usual day is a banana for breakfast (At my desk at work), grapes for mid break, a sandwich or jacket potato for lunch, and then meat/fish and veg for my evening meal. I just can't see how to eat more calories!

Anyone got any tips for me??
You're losing at a good pace to maintain the weight loss.  I'd say keep on doing as you are doing and don't try to rush it.
(02-03-2024, 04:41 PM)MissBeck Wrote: Evening all!
I want a bit of advice regarding a change in my eating habits I've made for the new year. Basically, I'm trying to avoid all ultra processed foods, and mainly eating fruit, veg, meats, eggs and a bit of fish. I've cut out white bread, which I loved, and now make my own wholemeal bread in my breadmaker, and I eat 2 sandwiches a week, so four slices a week (I only make a small loaf). I've also swapped white rice for brown, and normal pasta for wholewheat pasta. Still have milk (Skimmed)

Now, so far it's been going okay. I've lost 11 pounds since January 1st, although I can't see it in the mirror yet. But...I downloaded an app called 'Weight Loss' by the NHS. This recommends I eat 1700 calories a day, and I am finding this impossible!! I am lucky to be touching 1000 a day, and 250 of that is drinks! I really do log everything down in the app, even to a sneaky strawberry Quality Street. So does anyone know if by NOT reaching this calorie target I'm stressing my body out?

I know I'm deficient in Vitamin D and Folic Acid as shown in recent blood work done in December 2023, and my Dr has put me on supplements for them, but apart from that I'm hoping this new diet will boost those again through a correct diet.

My usual day is a banana for breakfast (At my desk at work), grapes for mid break, a sandwich or jacket potato for lunch, and then meat/fish and veg for my evening meal. I just can't see how to eat more calories!

Anyone got any tips for me??

Quote:So does anyone know if by NOT reaching this calorie target I'm stressing my body out?

You'll be fine, I've been given a few different numbers for calorie count and have found they are based a lot on psudoscience, just like BMI. if you're not feeling lethargic, then will be fine.

I tried switching to brown rice and found out it wasnt for me.

What cooking oils do you use?, I use rice bran oil for asian style dishes and olive oil for most other things, I've been told to switch to canola oil as a healthy change, but I didnt like it.
I was not here.
(02-03-2024, 08:24 PM)Byrd Wrote: You're losing at a good pace to maintain the weight loss.  I'd say keep on doing as you are doing and don't try to rush it.

Thanks Byrd. I'm just worried that it says I need a certain amount of calories, but I'm not hungry, so I'd just be eating for the sake of it! I've never counted calories in my life, but when I totted up what my old diet was like, I was topping 3000 plus a day, so to what I'm eating now, it's a huge drop. Shocked

(02-04-2024, 12:45 AM)BeTheGoddess Wrote: You'll be fine, I've been given a few different numbers for calorie count and have found they are based a lot on psudoscience, just like BMI. if you're not feeling lethargic, then will be fine.

I tried switching to brown rice and found out it wasnt for me.

What cooking oils do you use?, I use rice bran oil for asian style dishes and olive oil for most other things, I've been told to switch to canola oil as a healthy change, but I didnt like it.

Thank you! I use extra virgin olive oil when I do need to use oil, but that's rare as I only use it for fying eggs or mushrooms. All my meats are roasted or grilled. I've stopped using my deep fat fryer totally.
(02-04-2024, 05:06 AM)MissBeck Wrote: Thanks Byrd. I'm just worried that it says I need a certain amount of calories, but I'm not hungry, so I'd just be eating for the sake of it! I've never counted calories in my life, but when I totted up what my old diet was like, I was topping 3000 plus a day, so to what I'm eating now, it's a huge drop. Shocked

Thank you! I use extra virgin olive oil when I do need to use oil, but that's rare as I only use it for fying eggs or mushrooms. All my meats are roasted or grilled. I've stopped using my deep fat fryer totally.

Yeah I dont have a deep fryer, but I do yse an air fryer a lot  Not great for everything but that and the microwave are the most used appliances I own, even out ranking the kettle.
I was not here.
I thought caloric intake depends on level of daily activity? You have made good decisions to change your diet in the way that you have but I agree that it is very confusing when it comes to how and what to eat to achieve what you want. Not much help, I know.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-04-2024, 10:04 AM)quintessentone Wrote: I thought caloric intake depends on level of daily activity? You have made good decisions to change your diet in the way that you have but I agree that it is very confusing when it comes to how and what to eat to achieve what you want. Not much help, I know.

Also confusing is the 'carbs are evil' debate! I haven't cut all carbs as I still eat potatoes, and of course the carbs in my veggies and bananas? Apparently it's these you need to cut to lose weight, but I really don't want to cause harm as your body needs carbs? I certainly don't want to do some drastic Atkins type diet.

I also want to do some type of exercise, but time is limited and I sit all day ay a desk! Does anyone know if Pilates works?
(02-04-2024, 01:07 PM)MissBeck Wrote: Also confusing is the 'carbs are evil' debate! I haven't cut all carbs as I still eat potatoes, and of course the carbs in my veggies and bananas? Apparently it's these you need to cut to lose weight, but I really don't want to cause harm as your body needs carbs? I certainly don't want to do some drastic Atkins type diet.

I also want to do some type of exercise, but time is limited and I sit all day ay a desk! Does anyone know if Pilates works?

I read advice from a woman where she says all you have to do when you do your daily cleaning house routines is just push those cleaning moves a little further - incorporate Pilates that way. You must know about chair exercises, they too can help with muscle toning but not really burn off those calories.

Another bit of advice I thought interesting was that all you have to do is sit on the floor and get up without using anything to aid you. Doing this repeatedly supposedly works most of the body's muscles.

As for carbs, I now eat open faced sandwiches, so only one piece of bread, thin and rye bread only.

Potatoes are a weakness of mine so if I am going to eat them it's going to be loaded some way. But I have cut down my consumption of them a lot.

I've heard bananas and dates are fattening, so I avoid eating them on a regular basis.

I guess mixing it up may be a good idea.

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-04-2024, 01:23 PM)quintessentone Wrote: I read advice from a woman where she says all you have to do when you do your daily cleaning house routines is just push those cleaning moves a little further - incorporate Pilates that way. You must know about chair exercises, they too can help with muscle toning but not really burn off those calories.

Another bit of advice I thought interesting was that all you have to do is sit on the floor and get up without using anything to aid you. Doing this repeatedly supposedly works most of the body's muscles.

As for carbs, I now eat open faced sandwiches, so only one piece of bread, thin and rye bread only.

Potatoes are a weakness of mine so if I am going to eat them it's going to be loaded some way. But I have cut down my consumption of them a lot.

I've heard bananas and dates are fattening, so I avoid eating them on a regular basis.

I guess mixing it up may be a good idea.

Oh Lordy, if I sat on the floor and wasn't allowed to use anything to aid me, I'd be sat there all day!! Lol I'll have to work on that one a bit! I use my Wii Fit to weigh myself, and that has Yoga on it, but oh my, it is sooo boring!!

I'll definitely look for some chair exercises that I can do as I'm on my arse for 6 hours at work!

Now, I have bananas because the only fruit I like are them, grapes and pears, so that's why I have it for my breakfast. Would I be better skipping it then you think?
(02-04-2024, 01:56 PM)MissBeck Wrote: Oh Lordy, if I sat on the floor and wasn't allowed to use anything to aid me, I'd be sat there all day!! Lol I'll have to work on that one a bit! I use my Wii Fit to weigh myself, and that has Yoga on it, but oh my, it is sooo boring!!

I'll definitely look for some chair exercises that I can do as I'm on my arse for 6 hours at work!

Now, I have bananas because the only fruit I like are them, grapes and pears, so that's why I have it for my breakfast. Would I be better skipping it then you think?

Lol Really try the sitting on the floor getting up exercise and help yourself up using the floor as resistance first, but work your way up to not using anything to get up, it's suppose to be all you need and you can do it at work.

I've switched to snacking on apples, considering there are so many different types why not try the honey crisp organic ones - they are very very good.

Plato's Chariot Allegory