Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The US Institute of Heraldry (military)
So here's a neat (and unusual) site that I was introduced to today: the US Institute of Heraldry, which is all about military logos and designs:

Right here:  The Institute of Heraldry | Home (army.mil)

There's a wealth of information and some very intriguing pages.  I think the US Space Force has some of the oddest shoulder patches around:  tioh.army.mil/Catalog/HeraldryList.aspx?CategoryId=11019&grp=15&menu=Uniformed Services -- the Space Operations Squadron frankly looks like Emperor Palpatine contemplating blowing up a basketball (in my humble opinion) and the Space Range patch is... uh.. well... I'm not sure what the message is here.

The heraldry of the other services is well documented (ever wonder what all the bars on a soldier's chest mean?  Here ya go!  Ribbons--Order of Precedence (army.mil)) but Space Force is one of those "who designs these things?" grab bag.

The US Space Force site has some information on how they designed their logos:  The design of culture: US Space Force emblems > United States Space Force > Article Display

The whole discussion (where I found these tasty links) was on another board and was about this image:
[Image: image.thumb.jpeg.f13aa51a2b47cf3176adca42c992160c.jpeg]

Which is noted on Wikipedia (now I'm doing the rabbit holes for you.  You can thank me later:  Space Delta 18 - Wikipedia) -- and is LIVING PROOF THAT PEOPLE TODAY DON'T UNDERSTAND SYMBOLS, CONFOUND IT!  (the sphinx that they've got is the symbol for pharonic power.  The one they SHOULD have used (which means wisdom) is the Greek sphinx.)

And I have *no* idea why they'd put the coffin mask of a pharaoh on their logo.  Undoubtedly it represents something to them... but I'm equally sure they have no idea that it's a piece that covered the coffin of a pharaoh and is not actually a symbol of what they think it is.)

Feh.  Bad research.

But amusingly bad research.  Anyhoo -- enjoy the weirdness!
I regret not seeing this sooner.  I agree that it is a real problem that people seem to be careless and thoughtless when they "do" symbols.

The example you show is almost heartbreaking.  A Sarcophagi mask... an Egyptian sphinx.... really?

I'll reserve my cynical and smarmy remarks...
(04-26-2024, 11:00 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I regret not seeing this sooner.  I agree that it is a real problem that people seem to be careless and thoughtless when they "do" symbols.

The example you show is almost heartbreaking.  A Sarcophagi mask... an Egyptian sphinx.... really?

I'll reserve my cynical and smarmy remarks...

Oh, do be cynical and smarmy.  I probably thought much the same.