deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Royal Australian Navy personnel to maintain United Navy's submarines
The U.S. Navy will conduct its first submarine maintenance work in Australia next summer using the sub tender Emory S. Land, with 30 Australian sailors embarked to learn how to repair the Virginia class of submarine. 

Raven said Australian officers, sailors and government civilians are already in the nuclear training pipeline with the U.S. Navy and are learning attack sub maintenance procedures in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and at Barrow-in-Furness, England.

Story

I will spare the reader an outline of the massive obstacles and issues facing Australia's nuclear-powered submarine ambitions. But this might interest anyone interested in present USN and possible future RAN platforms. 

I note how maintenance on the Virginia class will be undertaken with or on submarine tenders. There probably isn't room for a dry dock at HMAS Stirling, and work on the RAN's Collins class submarines is done in Adelaide.
Adelaide and South Australia has a big anti nuclear vibe in the political sphere. It it strange for a state with places like Roxy Downs and it uranium mine. This is dangerous stuff to work with, mine, refine and produce. After Chernobyl, got about as much chance as an anti vaxer, anti Zionist in going against the system.

The Sub base has been growing over the years, getting harder to get too these days. These things take generations to work. If you can make a good sub, making a good space ship ain't far off. Change the drive, life support is important if the mission is to have any chance. As for why Christopher Pyne sold the next gen to France? International collaboration has a lot of blind spots to fix up, as for what is really going on these days, I don't know?

For some Aussies to check out how these nukes work, thanks. Lot of fear around about them. If safe and strong work health safety procedures can be done, helps in the sales pitch. There is going to be a risk though, how do we measure that against the price of oil?