Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you play a musical instrument?
(04-08-2024, 06:37 AM)quintessentone Wrote: When I invited a piano teacher into my home to discuss with myself and my children what to expect from the lessons, she immediately judged us on whether or not we would be good piano players by the shape and size of our hands/fingers. I thanked her and told her don't call me, I'll call you (rather I won't call you).

I’ve taught lessons for years and that’s never been a problem.

I have large hands and it’s handy for playing octaves, that’s about it.
I play guitar, doesn't everybody? Although not so much since I took up driving and driveway mechanic as a hobby, and now there is some new proposal in Maine here where they want to take away our ability to work on/repair our own vehicles and we would be forced to take them to the dealership? It was already voted down a couple years ago, but they are being stubborn about it for some reason.

I love the 70s, but with the internet and all I've played it to death. I also love all kinds of metal; my only requirement really is that it has some sort of melody to it - don't care much for melodiless music.

I've even taken' a liking to some of the Dua Lipa they've been playing on the radio lately. What can I say? It's different, done well, and I suppose it's grown on me some with what exposure I've had to it.
I own 3 guitars and can't play.  (long, dumb story)

I love all music except C/W and newish 'rap'

I listen to music for the musical content.  I don't care about lyrics (yes, I'm wierd) and to me, the vocal aspect is simply another instrument to add an additional layer to the sonic quality of the song.
When I try to explain that to people I get weird responses sometimes so I simply say "If I cared what they were singing about, I'd read poetry.  Do you listen to someone recite poetry for the harmony?"

A dream has always been to learn guitar and thus far I've gotten as far as restringing one of my electrics, lol

Total respect for all of you that play
I’ve played guitar, sax and oboe. Took some percussion classes but didn’t do anything in that realm beyond that.

Recently bought a Numark table and intend to learn to produce EDM. Always been a big EDM fan and want to learn how they do it. Super technical stuff.

Got my hands on some Oakenfold back in the late 1990s and never looked back.
I had to look up what a Numark table was Vulcan! Awesome! I’m just an old hack with too many guitars n amps playing old Montrose, AC/DC, Stones etc. I play John Prine , roots and blues on my acoustics and just have fun annoying the pets and neighbours. Ha!

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
(04-26-2024, 09:35 AM)Raptured Wrote: I listen to music for the musical content.  I don't care about lyrics (yes, I'm weird) and to me, the vocal aspect is simply another instrument to add an additional layer to the sonic quality of the song.

I would presume most are that way except for not caring about the lyrics, and I would have to place vocal quality above lyrical content as well, but well written lyrics can definitely add another cool dimension to a musical composition. Also, if you don't appreciate the vocalist you probably aren't going to care much what they're singing about.