deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you play a musical instrument?
(03-12-2024, 05:52 PM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote: Quite an impressive list of instruments!  Also, I really love the sax on that song.
I envy you your musical abilities.

And I, like you, love Miles Davis. It took me a while though. At first, for several years, I just took him to be a poor and lazy trumpeter, but boy was I wrong. He heard things that hardly anyone else at that time did. And, one of my favorite things about him was that he never stood still, he kpet on exploring and inventing and playing with new and up coming jazz improvisors.
[Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...5_hail.gif] Cool
I have an Ibanez Fat Strat which I play, badly. I rely heavily on effects pedals.

I would describe my style as "stun guitar"...
Fantastic responses from you all!
Some of you have extensive knowledge and training, I’m pretty much self taught and love to keep learning!!

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
Semi Pro...buskin, giging at the local bars and festivals with various groups....guitar, bass, keys, sax and drums.  Born and bred in the BLUES but R&R pays the dues along with a healthy dose of C&W.   Training...Marching Band in HS and Univ.
I like all forms of music except rap.
I started to play with my father's vintage hofner electric guitar when I was like 5 I think. I know how to read music but I hate notes so I still play by ear, including some jazz. I was mainly a heavy rock guitarist and after aging now I am more into some boutique instrumental playing like guthrie govan or nick johnston. I record and produce some people as a ghost writer. Still haven't officially released my own music. Hope I will do someday just for the fun of it. Its rock and I also sing the songs. Being one man band literally wears you and the time you complete somethings you already outgrown the things you recorded and then you start a new 4 5 year project haha. I also play bass and just a little bit of drums & keys. Thinking of picking up Oud. Amazing instrument. I listen to everything which are good from almost every genre. Love to play over some different music. My fav guitar I have is the strat.
Learned flute in the band in school, so I also play recorder.
Self-taught guitar, of course (did some coffeehouse work)
Self-taught ukulele (not very good but I can whack out a few songs.)
Self-taught kalimba (very very poor at it but can manage a song or three)
self-taught bodhran (Eh, I can keep a rhythm)
Spoons.  I can play spoons (legit instrument, folks.)
Electronic autoharp (love my Suzuki!)
Regular autoharp
Dobro

And to add to the weirdness, I lead a small group of shanty singers.  We're not great but we're unstoppable.

I mostly play by ear.  I have an electronic keyboard but really can't play keyboards.
I do not play, I tried to play the piano whenni was young, I wanted to be like my dad who can play the piano. I was too frustrated and my parents had me stop because they saw I was not ready. I tried to play the tennor saxophone. I was not much better at that I could not track the notes. The notes on the page would blend then squish together. My processing was slow and to top it all off I found out that two of the fingers on my left hand would regularly lock. When I got to high-school I discovered choir and it was so much better for me because I could follow the notes with my fingers on the page so they would not get all jumbled up. Fast forward to where I am now.... I don't play. I sing for fun but an not great. I enjoy teaching the little ones I am teaching about rhythm and notes and am getting quality percussion instruments into my class. 

One thing I have learned. For anyone who wants to get a kid a musical instrument to play with... just get a real one and teach them how to use it. You will thank me for the overall sound quality over the cheaper plastic counterparts.
Have a sunshine type of day! Cool Cool
(04-07-2024, 12:47 PM)Cre8Chaos Wrote: I do not play, I tried to play the piano whenni was young, I wanted to be like my dad who can play the piano. ....

You might believe you "do not play," but I suspect that like me, you were never satisfied with how quickly or easily you could express yourself playing... and therefore just gave up on the whole stress-inducing experience.

Our problems with learning instruments usually arise from something more fundamental than some "inability" to be musical... it has more to do with our inability to "be taught" in a certain way, according to a certain metric, or practice.  The difference is often exacerbated by "parents" or "teachers" and their baggage brought into the exercise.

It's like people who say, "I can't draw" or "I can't 'do' math," many times such statements are based 'outside' of the reality, and more focused on the "perception of it."
(04-07-2024, 12:56 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Our problems with learning instruments usually arise from something more fundamental than some "inability" to be musical... it has more to do with our inability to "be taught" in a certain way, according to a certain metric, or practice.  The difference is often exacerbated by "parents" or "teachers" and their baggage brought into the exercise.

shhhhh. You said the quiet part out loud! Much had to do with my mom who decided to take lessons along aide me and she did way way better much faster. She had played Flute, oboe, saxophone. She knew how to read sheet music so all she had to do was adapt. Mean time here I am getting all frustrated because I was six and did not understand why I was not getting it and she was. No one explained it to me. My frustration got the better of me and ... well it was history.  Forward to now and I have a much different look at things. I could probably find a way to play if I want to now... however at this point I like the tin whistle okay.... would like to really learn the bodhran drum.
Have a sunshine type of day! Cool Cool
(04-07-2024, 12:56 PM)Maxmars Wrote: You might believe you "do not play," but I suspect that like me, you were never satisfied with how quickly or easily you could express yourself playing... and therefore just gave up on the whole stress-inducing experience.

Our problems with learning instruments usually arise from something more fundamental than some "inability" to be musical... it has more to do with our inability to "be taught" in a certain way, according to a certain metric, or practice.  The difference is often exacerbated by "parents" or "teachers" and their baggage brought into the exercise.

It's like people who say, "I can't draw" or "I can't 'do' math," many times such statements are based 'outside' of the reality, and more focused on the "perception of it."

When I invited a piano teacher into my home to discuss with myself and my children what to expect from the lessons, she immediately judged us on whether or not we would be good piano players by the shape and size of our hands/fingers. I thanked her and told her don't call me, I'll call you (rather I won't call you).
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory