deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You know that old trope "Crazy Cat Lady?"
Well, it seems cruel to me.  I like cats too.

But it can't be denied that there is some sort of "association" to be made out of cat ownership and schizophrenia, it appears...

From Science Alert: Mysterious Link Between Cats And Schizophrenia Is Real, Study Finds
Article source: Cat Ownership and Schizophrenia-Related Disorders and Psychotic-Like Experiences: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Now I must start by acknowledging that this is a "meta" analysis.  That means it's derived from 17 other research papers (culled out of out of nearly 2,000.)  It also means that it must be carefully measured to ensure that it is an accurate overall assessment.  That's the researcher's responsibility, shared with the publishers. 

It has been proposed that cat ownership may be a risk-modifying factor for schizophrenia-related disorders and psychotic-like experiences (PLE). This study aimed to systematically review and meta-analyze publications that reported the relationship between cat ownership and schizophrenia-related outcomes.

The object of this research was schizophrenia, and the correlation with cat ownership was the focus.  So, the association of the idea of cats being the pets of the mentally afflicted seems to be legitimate. As a personal point, I object to the opening phrase "It has been proposed," which tells us nothing scientific.

Having a cat as a pet could potentially double a person's risk of schizophrenia-related disorders, according to a recent study.

Australian researchers conducted an analysis of 17 studies published during the last 44 years, from 11 countries including the US and the UK.

"We found an association between broadly defined cat ownership and increased odds of developing schizophrenia-related disorders," explained psychiatrist John McGrath and fellow researchers, all from the Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research, in their study published last December.

The article relays some history, and the recurring theme of most research shows a correlation, but it's also worth noting that not all do.

A parasite called Toxoplasma gondii has been suggested as a cause for the madness... but the research so far has not been consistent.  (Ironically, T. gondii infections were the subject of another article: Mind-Altering Parasite May Make Infected People More Attractive, Study Suggests which casts a different light on the subject.)  This parasite, according to 2022 research, may be present in nearly 50% of the population - with no reported symptoms.)

Once inside our bodies, T. gondii can infiltrate the central nervous system and influence neurotransmitters. The parasite has been linked to personality changes, the emergence of psychotic symptoms, and some neurological disorders, including schizophrenia.

However, a link doesn't prove T. gondii causes these changes or that the parasite was passed on to a human from a cat.

The new analysis of 17 studies found "a significant positive association between broadly defined cat ownership and an increased risk of schizophrenia-related disorders".

"After adjusting for covariates, we found that individuals exposed to cats had approximately twice the odds of developing schizophrenia," the team explained.

There are some important things to keep in mind here, like the fact that 15 of the 17 studies were case-control studies. This kind of research cannot prove cause and effect, and it often does not look at things that might have affected both the exposure and the outcome.

I'll leave the judgements to you all... but I thought this could make for an interesting conversation...

I have to wonder what might happen if Big Pharma and their 'government friends' were to "pursue" this disease (as they have with others) ... we might end up in a world full of good-looking crazy people.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
lol, I’m sexy and I know it song popped into my head when I read this.

I love my little 19 year old girl. She has a calming loving effect on me and my son.

She’s definitely family! Once she goes though, I wouldn’t get another one for fear of passing before it, and it possibly being treated poorly after I was gone. I couldn’t bare the thought of it!

I think the correlation with any schizophrenia has to do with the people who already have schizophrenia get cats as pets because they are such loves.
In tune
You know, the reverse could be true.  It could be that people with very troubling psychological problems find cats helpful; a friendly little presence that is less trouble to take care of than other pets.  Food and water and a place to sleep... unlike dogs, you can fill their bowl with kibble and they'll graze as needed.  Many people don't bother with a litterbox, but let the cat outdoors (or install a cat flap.)

Don't need to change cage liners, don't need to take them on walks.  

Low maintenance pet, comforting purr when you're stressed.