deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
The lottery i think it sucks to win
(12-03-2023, 06:45 AM)music is magic Wrote: I think the lottery is rigged. What do you guys think?

I can't address things in Japan, but generally speaking, you and many MANY others think it is somehow rigged/fixed... or at least a 'deception' at work.

The issuing lottery authority usually gains money at least equal to the amount it pays out whenever it does.  The odds of significant payout are astronomically small, so other than that they just 'keep' the money.

The amounts of actual payout are extremely small, relatively speaking, compared to the amount of money they "make."

Here are some interesting comments which seem to show a lot of folks decrying lottery as an opportunistic exploitation of those who can least afford it.
A co-worker was standing in line after work to buy a lotto ticket with only a short time left before they colsed; a guy cut in front of him, and being a mild manored fello he just let him go ahead.
When his turn came, he bought ONE ticket...for $1.00...and won $1,00,000.00! Had he not let a jerk cut in front of him, said jerk may have been the new millionaire. 
Poetic justice.  Lol
I'm not a Domestic Engineer; I'm still feral.
I dont get why people would buy a ticket on the chance they might win being stoned to death?

And no the good type of stoned.

I'll get back in my box.
I was not here.
I think lotteries are a longshot so I only buy tickets with the best odds of winning. I just spent $50 and have 100 numbers going out there into the universe to do what it will for me, or not for me.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(12-03-2023, 08:47 PM)music is magic Wrote: when 7 people here have won the lottery a while back at one time, i said fk it, the lottery is fixed. 134 million people here and 7 people chose the same number and they won, fk it its fixed PERIORD.

I seem to remember seeing or reading something about families and friends of those who do nefareous deeds get paid off with lottery wins. Dubious, but maybe explains what you witnessed.

Who were those people, what is their connection and who may have aided their "luck"?

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
(12-03-2023, 06:45 AM)music is magic Wrote: I think the lottery is rigged. What do you guys think?

I think it is mostly the governments doing what the Mafia and other groups did successfully.
IOW the lottery is just legalized numbers.
I also think it is excess taxation of those who least can afford it.
LOL Ive cut out all my other vices, so I play when I remember, but nothing crazy about 25 bucks a month at most, my nicotine habit was easily double that. 

I'll rarely play Powerball unless it gets huge, but the Mega and Fantasy 5 I play pretty regularly.

As for it being fixed not sure about Japan but here I don't see why, the odds are astronomical they are making loads by being legit. 

When I did smoke I'd got scratch-off cards and I won more on that than the actual lottery. Even then it was like a couple of hundred bucks.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
I don't think it's rigged.  I play powerball if the jackpot gets to a billion $$.   I only buy one ticket.  It's fun to dream about winning.   But I don't get stupid about buying a bunch of tickets.

When ever I go in to play, it's always people who are obviously not well off playing the lottery.  They are spending piles and piles of money on lottery tickets and scratch offs.  Their clothes are old and they probably are on state aid by the looks of them, but they spend what they do have on lottery tickets.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(03-10-2024, 08:47 AM)FlyersFan Wrote: I don't think it's rigged.  I play powerball if the jackpot gets to a billion $$.   I only buy one ticket.  It's fun to dream about winning.   But I don't get stupid about buying a bunch of tickets.

When ever I go in to play, it's always people who are obviously not well off playing the lottery.  They are spending piles and piles of money on lottery tickets and scratch offs.  Their clothes are old and they probably are on state aid by the looks of them, but they spend what they do have on lottery tickets.

It's cheap entertainment my former in-laws would sometimes buy lottery scratch-off cards for our kids, If they won any cash they would share, most times they would go back and get more cards.

What are you gonna do they meant well, it's like my ex-girlfriend's Mom she did this too, she just couldn't afford to get the kids lots of stuff and she was on a fixed income. 

A huge chunk here goes towards education,scholarships etc.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
I Don't know, I won the megamillions two weeks ago and I am all right.  I spun the wheel on michigan lottery and got five bucks credit, played some games and got it up to six bucks.  Then I bought three megamillion tickets online and won two bucks.  So that is how I won the megamillions.  Blew the winnings on another game online.  Just spin the wheel to see what I get, have not spent any of my own money on that site.  The wife does buy some one dollar draw games every week, so we use the better coupons on there to reduce that cost by forty to fifty percent.  Even with that reduction in cost, we never come ahead overall.  At least we don't lose as much.  I think it is four tickets at a buck a ticket for each draw, twice a week.  so eight bucks a week comes out to four or five bucks a week with the coupons....so if we get half of that back, it is two bucks a week wasted.  Not too good odds but she has been playing those birthday numbers for years.  I gave up trying to get her to quit over twenty years ago and now just started to focus on reducing the loss.

I did use one of those coupons today to buy three tickets for the powerball.  Three dollars off of six dollars spent.  So I probably wasted three bucks.  If I didn't have the coupon, I would have saved three bucks.

When your chances of winning are one in over three hundred million of winning the megamillions or powerball, You do not have to worry about the headache you will get if you win the jackpot because I think you might have better odds of getting struck by lightning on a sunny day.