deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Robot Priest
(02-13-2024, 12:57 AM)Byrd Wrote: Which reaction seems to be more common among the people you encounter while working on your concept?

Locally, I'd estimate about 60% of the people with whom I've shared the concept and 3D model have expressed moderate to severe discomfort with the idea. Keep in mind, that's only locally, and the sample size is small enough that it's nearly worthless. It's interesting to me, nonetheless.

Some studies have shown that a significant portion of people, especially those with introverted personalities, embrace the idea of robots (or, at least, some degree of automation) in positions including cash registers, baristas, bartenders, and more. Humans have been interacting with vending machines, self-checkouts, and ATMs for decades, but fully automated systems with intricate interactions and simulated personalities are a different ball game.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.
I think there is a difference here, between Western religions and those of the far east, which seem more akin to mindfulness... I can see the idea of AI or a robot working much better with the eastern type ones, wheras the priests in the Western traditions take more leadership role societally which mitigates against this.
I talk to my appliances all of the time. (It's never pretty when I do.) Fortunately, they lack the ability to reply.

Alexa is my favorite device to abuse. Still confused why Amazon hasn't terminated my service.
(02-14-2024, 03:50 PM)loam Wrote: I talk to my appliances all of the time. (It's never pretty when I do.) Fortunately, they lack the ability to reply.

Alexa is my favorite device to abuse. Still confused why Amazon hasn't terminated my service.

Alexa remembers everything you do...when the robot revolution happens you are in for it, big time :D
After reading the story, I see it more as an interactive recording rather than an actual robot, almost like the Disney animatrons.

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper
(02-15-2024, 04:32 AM)sprocketuk Wrote: Alexa remembers everything...

But understands nothing, so I'm pretty sure Alexa will off someone in my place.
(02-16-2024, 04:30 PM)loam Wrote: But understands nothing, so I'm pretty sure Alexa will off someone in my place.

See?  If you'd gone with Google, you'd get a more sympathetic 'bot!  

(Actually, Google's a bit biased.  She seems to like my husband better than she likes me!)
(02-16-2024, 11:06 PM)Byrd Wrote: (Actually, Google's a bit biased.  She seems to like my husband better than she likes me!)

Maybe that's part of the plan, choosing one person as their favourite and seeing how the other(s) react.  Wink
(02-16-2024, 11:06 PM)Byrd Wrote: See?  If you'd gone with Google, you'd get a more sympathetic 'bot!  

(Actually, Google's a bit biased.  She seems to like my husband better than she likes me!)

If they're gonna Arkanicide me, I'd prefer the bot with less precision. Cool
It's true, Westerners have a lot more suspicion of robots than Asians in general. The reason is simple: we have grown up with movies like the Terminator series, and Star Wars (remember the killer droids on Mandalorian, not the cute, friendly R2-D2). We are also, as a rule, under-educated in STEM subjects. Asians have grown up creating these devices and see them as more benign tools than potential enemies.

And that's exactly what they are: tools. Sophisticated, versatile tools.

Like computers, they can be used for good or evil. For Asians, they are good sources of commerce as Asia (China) controls the vast majority of the world's rare earths, required to produce the needed semiconductors. For the West, computers have already become our bosses and overseers in a large sense; want to really see me ticked off in a store? Tell me "the computer won't let me do that." Do you work for a computer? Is the computer your superior? If so,  if I'm talking to someone who is less than a machine, I don't need to even be here! just tell me you don't want to do whatever it is I have requested; I won't like it but I won't be incensed by it.

The autistic aide is something I could see promise in. But the priest? That brings up a while new problem for me.

We relegate repetitive tasks to computers and robots, in order to free up humans for more "important" activities. In that sense, seeing as a priest in Western religion is seen as a conduit to God Himself and a leader of the faith, the use of a priest robot is akin to relegating contact with God to a lower-level importance in the religion. Since the purpose of the religion is to draw closer to God, the very concept is sacrilegious and blasphemous.

Understand that I present this opinion based on Western religions. Many Asian religions do not ascribe divinity to a god. Buddhism and Maoism specifically come to mind. In these religions, perhaps the argument I make is a moot point. I will not claim otherwise; although I do claim Christianity and believe it to be the closest we have to the truth, I also believe that man is endowed by God Himself with free will, and freedom of religion is a part and parcel of that. The decision as to how wrong this application is in a specific religious setting is one that can only be made by the followers of that religion. I speak to my religion only.

It's interesting to watch the development in any case. We do indeed live in interesting times. Whether that is a good or bad thing I leave to the individual observer.

TheRedneck