Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The New Wonka Movie
My first try at a thread here.  Let's see how I do.
No fancy links .. not sure how to here.
Just my own review.   Some spoilers but I tried to keep it mostly generic ... 

We don't go to the movies often.  It's too expensive and honestly there aren't many good movies.  But we decided the Wonka movie looked cute so we went.  

We thought it was pretty good.  Definitely a family movie.  No body count.  No real violence.  No sex.  

The story tells of Willie Wonka before he started the magical factory.  He was into magic and chocolate and imagination.  It tells of his struggle to get his chocolate factory going and how he had to work through the machinations of bad guys like Slugworth to get his chocolate to the people.  

The songs were catchy and the story was cute.  And we find out why the ooompalooompas are part of Willie Wonka world.

The bad guys worked out of a Catholic Church, and the lair was under the church only accessible through the confessional and the priest in the confessional hitting a lever to get the bad guys down to the lair.  There were bad guy chocoholic Catholic monks as well.  Didn't appreciate any of that.  But it wasn't too bad.  Just a minor thing that I didn't like.

Overall ... it's a good lite weight movie for a rainy Sunday Afternoon.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
I'm so in love with the first one, I've never watched the second one. I'm still trying to process that they tried to do it a third time. I'll take that over what they've done to batman though. Lol
[Image: CEDWDSa.png]
Thanks for the review.  Might be a good thing to check out over the holiday.  I grew up on the first movie and love Gene Wilder.  
The 2nd version with Depp, I was unsure after I saw it.  Saw it a second time and really liked what Depp brought to the character.  

Will give this one a try.
(12-21-2023, 08:05 AM)Frogs Wrote: The 2nd version with Depp, I was unsure after I saw it.  Saw it a second time and really liked what Depp brought to the character.  

Will give this one a try.
Depp does some great characters.   Loved him in Edward Scissorhands.....so  Thumbup
(12-21-2023, 04:27 PM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote: Depp does some great characters.   Loved him in Edward Scissorhands.....so  Thumbup

"Benny & Joon" was another gem, quirky and fun character he played who behaved like Charlie Chaplin and rarely spoke.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.