deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The 1913 White Hurricane
Why the 1913 White Hurricane was one of Michigan’s worst natural disasters

I am more or less a weather nerd.  Even though I am very far from being an expert.  And I live in the MidWest. 
Not a bad place to live, but Michigan has one of the worst track records for power outages.  And  that probably has a LOT to do with my interest in weather....
Imagine if you will if that storm would hit Michigan and the Midwest TODAY!!?!?

Quote:In early November in 1913, Michigan was hit by a massive winter storm that, over the course of several days, killed 250 people. A dozen shipwrecks occurred during the storm, particularly on November 9 from 6 p.m. to midnight. Blizzard conditions and powerful winds lashed the state, and historical information shows us that the unique nature of the storm caught people off-guard.
From Nov. 7-10 in 1913, a storm system impacted Michigan and the Great Lakes region. This storm was the result of two different low-pressure systems, one from the Northern Plains and one from near the East Coast, merging over Lake Huron. This caused the new, combined low-pressure center to rapidly intensify, bringing powerful winds and heavy snowfall. Over a foot of snow was recorded in the eastern U.P. and northeastern Lower Peninsula, with other areas in the state receiving 3-6 inches of snow. In Cleveland, Ohio, almost 2 feet of snow fell during the storm, causing power to be knocked out for several days. Heavy snowfall over the lakes caused whiteout conditions.[/color]