deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Taiwan hit by 7.5 Earthquake
This must have happened quite recently, as the report I read didn't even bother to specify a time...

From FOX: Powerful earthquake rocks Taiwan, buildings seen collapsed, causes tsunami warning in Japan
Subtitled: Buildings were seen shaken off their foundations following the quake, which was given a 7.5, according to the U.S. Geological Survey

An earthquake rocked the entire island of Taiwan early Wednesday, collapsing buildings in a southern city and sparking a brief tsunami warning for southern Japanese islands.

It must have been terribly frightening...

[Image: Hualien-Taipei-Earthquake.jpg]

[Image: Office-building-in-Hualien-Taiwan-damage...uake-3.jpg]

The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center initially said it was reviewing the earthquake to determine whether there was a tsunami threat to the West Coast states of California, Oregon, Washington as well as Alaska and the Canadian province of British Columbia. 

Japan

"Tsunami NOT expected," the agency posted on X minutes later. 

Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency also said there was no tsunami threat to the state. 

The quake was believed to be the biggest in Taiwan since a temblor in 1999 caused extensive damage.

I lived in Japan for three years. 
1983-1986.
We had lots of earthquakes ... some really big ones.
The place was rocking.
I would imagine Taiwan is like that.  Same part of the world.
Very unnerving.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
the epicenter was literally within miles of the house my mom grew up in, the town outside of the u.s. that ive been to most often. i nearly had a heart attack and started crying when the news broke, fearing the worst... luckily we have great construction standards and infrastructure, especially since the devastating 9/21/1999 earthquake. 

latest count is 9 dead and 963 injured, terrible and very scary but im thankful it wasnt any worse. seems like nobody in my extended family was affected, but i imagine hualien will take several weeks to clean up, and the central highway sustained heavy damage from several landslides. crackheads on twitter talking about china did it with chinese haarp in preparation for an imminent invasion while biden is still in office but, while i cant disprove that, its an absolutely idiotic theory for several reasons.

here's hoping all the people still trapped or missing are extricated alive and well, and repairs run smoothly.

i still remember sitting in my deceased grandma's bedroom in hualien, being forced to pray with my mom, in 2009 when a 6.4 quake hit... one of the scariest experiences of my life, it was short but more violent than any other quake ive lived through (which is quite a few). i ran outside in a panic, my mom sat there stoically praying and didnt even flinch.
I leave this and hope God can see my heart is pure...
Is Heaven just another door? ?
My prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends and family.  

I have never experienced a quake like that, or this one, mostly likely a 5 or so, and far from the epicenter.  "Scary" is one word that just doesn't cut it.  It was existentially terrifying.  The ground seemed to leap up a full foot.  No where to go, no hiding from it.

It's good that some civic-minded people kept their eyes on being prepared, rather than being prepared to profit.

Best of luck to all, and I hope anyone trapped will soon be freed.
(04-03-2024, 07:03 PM)Maxmars Wrote: My prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends and family.  

I have never experienced a quake like that, or this one, mostly likely a 5 or so, and far from the epicenter.  "Scary" is one word that just doesn't cut it.  It was existentially terrifying.  The ground seemed to leap up a full foot.  No where to go, no hiding from it.

It's good that some civic-minded people kept their eyes on being prepared, rather than being prepared to profit.

Best of luck to all, and I hope anyone trapped will soon be freed.

thanks. ive been watching taiwanese news since then and seems like they are still in the thick of recovery efforts. also, there are still strong aftershocks happening frequently, up to i think 6.x was the strongest. several buildings which did not fall over but sustained significant damage are being demolished and rebuilt, either by the owners themselves or under pressure from residents. also, the news mentioned something about hualien being a key strategic port that would probably experience heavy fighting if china ever tries a military invasion, so thats nice...
I leave this and hope God can see my heart is pure...
Is Heaven just another door? ?