deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE COLLECTIVE (SCI-FI -- A ONE PAGE STORY)
THE COLLECTIVE

They came from the fields.  Men, women, children, mothers, fathers, the young, and the old.  Every able-bodied citizen.

Pre-dawn was creeping closer.  Soon the twin suns would bring the heat.

The agrogeologists and laborers filed out from under the tarp covered fields to return to the safety of their homes.  Thick walled, insulated, prefab identical structures.  All white and sparkling under the morning glow, like a sea of crystal salt poured over boxes all lined up in perfect order.

Systematically, one by one, washing off the muck of their labor in sun warmed, crystal clear water, piped from underground aqueducts.  Each home or group complex following the same order.  This is the beginning of the end of their day. 

Fresh fruits and vegetables are set out on platters and in bowls.  Individuals and families gather together in picnic style assemblage, laying their sitting mats on the cool floor.  Enjoying conversation of their current interests.  Sometimes they talk of older times, but not often - - as it disrupts the harmony of life as it is today.

Soon the sleep meditation will begin.  This is the morning respite.  A time of calmness, tranquility, and rest to relieve aching bodies from the labors they endured tending their fields of growing edibles.  The harvest is months away.  This is a critical time to ensure that plant growth is healthy and abundance assured.

Sleep will come.  This is the daily ritual.  The body and mind expect it.  The body responds to the internal Circadian Rhythms.  It is the way of this life, as the suns bake the outside, threatening, but not touching this inner peaceful sanctuary.

Later in the day, alarms will sound to awaken the homes of those at rest.  It is a new day, that starts when the suns have passed a safe distance from midday.  This is the time of personal responsibility and education through interactive video programs.  For soon, all will exit their dwellings, and begin the evening social exchanges and festivities.  Each home has a small courtyard in front, with a cooking grill.  There is no cooking within the house, where heat is forbidden.  Each family is responsible for cooking a portion of the feast.  The children and adults alike then visit and mingle among the neighboring homes, choosing delicacies and staples of food from each. 

The festivities wind down, with a short siesta following.  Then the workday begins again.

THIS IS THE COLLECTIVE.

(If it's not clear -- this is about a new start-up farming colony "collective" established on a new planet)

ANNEE
Great futuristic story!!! Cool
(11-26-2023, 12:09 PM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote: Great futuristic story!!! Cool

Thank you.  

It's also meant to be a bit disturbing to those who fear control.

Some will see it as a peaceful co-existence.

Others will see it as a "prison".
(11-26-2023, 02:37 PM)ANNEE Wrote: Thank you.  

It's also meant to be a bit disturbing to those who fear control.

Some will see it as a peaceful co-existence.

Others will see it as a "prison".

This is wonderful ANNEE
(11-25-2023, 07:45 PM)ANNEE Wrote: THE COLLECTIVE

They came from the fieThatlds.  Men, women, children, mothers, fathers, the young, and the old.  Every able-bodied citizen.

Pre-dawn was creeping closer.  Soon the twin suns would bring the heat.

The agrogeologists and laborers filed out from under the tarp covered fields to return to the safety of their homes.  Thick walled, insulated, prefab identical structures.  All white and sparkling under the morning glow, like a sea of crystal salt poured over boxes all lined up in perfect order.

Systematically, one by one, washing off the muck of their labor in sun warmed, crystal clear water, piped from underground aqueducts.  Each home or group complex following the same order.  This is the beginning of the end of their day. 

Fresh fruits and vegetables are set out on platters and in bowls.  Individuals and families gather together in picnic style assemblage, laying their sitting mats on the cool floor.  Enjoying conversation of their current interests.  Sometimes they talk of older times, but not often - - as it disrupts the harmony of life as it is today.

Soon the sleep meditation will begin.  This is the morning respite.  A time of calmness, tranquility, and rest to relieve aching bodies from the labors they endured tending their fields of growing edibles.  The harvest is months away.  This is a critical time to ensure that plant growth is healthy and abundance assured.

Sleep will come.  This is the daily ritual.  The body and mind expect it.  The body responds to the internal Circadian Rhythms.  It is the way of this life, as the suns bake the outside, threatening, but not touching this inner peaceful sanctuary.

Later in the day, alarms will sound to awaken the homes of those at rest.  It is a new day, that starts when the suns have passed a safe distance from midday.  This is the time of personal responsibility and education through interactive video programs.  For soon, all will exit their dwellings, and begin the evening social exchanges and festivities.  Each home has a small courtyard in front, with a cooking grill.  There is no cooking within the house, where heat is forbidden.  Each family is responsible for cooking a portion of the feast.  The children and adults alike then visit and mingle among the neighboring homes, choosing delicacies and staples of food from each. 

The festivities wind down, with a short siesta following.  Then the workday begins again.

THIS IS THE COLLECTIVE.

(If it's not clear -- this is about a new start-up farming colony "collective" established on a new planet)

ANNEE

That was a good read.
On the surface it seems idyllic.
Have to admit to being turned off by the inevitability of each day in thet colony though, there doesnt appear to be any room for a rebel does there?
(11-26-2023, 02:40 PM)Quantum12 Wrote: This is wonderful ANNEE

Thank you.

(11-26-2023, 03:10 PM)sprocketuk Wrote: That was a good read.
On the surface it seems idyllic.
Have to admit to being turned off by the inevitability of each day in thet colony though, there doesnt appear to be any room for a rebel does there?
Exactly!!!

It may seem like a simple little story on the surface but if it sticks in your brain that it's a bit disturbing, then I've accomplished my writer's goal.

Thank you.  ANNEE
Thanks for your faceted story, Annee. You drew me into your utopic world, making me envious of it. But, as you expanded on the daily routine, I fell out of love with that place. It seemed like a perfect world, but without space or time for dialogue, love and creativity. A community without those few important ingredients, would never advance beyond people just working as the ants or the bees do.

Yes, they had food, but not food for thought.

Beer
(11-27-2023, 09:37 AM)Encia22 Wrote: Thanks for your faceted story, Annee. You drew me into your utopic world, making me envious of it. But, as you expanded on the daily routine, I fell out of love with that place. It seemed like a perfect world, but without space or time for dialogue, love and creativity. A community without those few important ingredients, would never advance beyond people just working as the ants or the bees do.

Yes, they had food, but not food for thought.

Beer
Thank you -- yes, you got it.

I only do one-page stories and they usually have a twist to them.

ANNEE
[quote="Hello Annee I really enjoyed your story...There are so many directions you could take with this... The same rote of tedium with the daily effort to sustain life when on an especially boring day... something unexpected and wonderful happens...Something so...other...that it brings excitement and adventure into the midst of the colonists...Or not...Cool story Annee...thank you for sharing it...    YouSir"
(12-07-2023, 02:21 PM)YouSir Wrote: "Hello Annee I really enjoyed your story...There are so many directions you could take with this... The same rote of tedium with the daily effort to sustain life when on an especially boring day... something unexpected and wonderful happens...Something so...other...that it brings excitement and adventure into the midst of the colonists...Or not...Cool story Annee...thank you for sharing it...    YouSir"

Thank you.  Yes, it is meant to have kind of a "second thought" kick to it after the initial read.

Is perfect really perfect?

ANNEE