deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Study finds there are nasty people on social media
(01-20-2024, 02:38 AM)Byrd Wrote: Not familiar with that one, though I *am* familiar with the experiments that show people are more likely to behave politely and honestly if they've got "eyes on them"... either live people or even posters or images of an eye staring at them.

I finally found out about it.

It was an experiment made by Philip Zimbardo, the same Stanford professor that made the Stanford prison study, to test the "broken-window theory".
In 1969 he put one car with no license plates and the hood open on a street in New York's Bronx and another in Palo Alto, California. As expected, the car in the Bronx was attacked after a few minutes, with a white couple with a young son taking away the radiator and the battery. After a few days the car had turned into an empty shell in which the kids played.
The Palo Alto car remained unaffected for one week, and after that time Zimbardo decided to make some change, so he moved the car to the Stanford campus and he and a few students started smashing the car with a sledgehammer. Some people got around the scene watching it and, after some time, decided to join in the destruction.
(01-20-2024, 11:00 AM)ArMaP Wrote: I finally found out about it.

It was an experiment made by Philip Zimbardo, the same Stanford professor that made the Stanford prison study, to test the "broken-window theory".
In 1969 he put one car with no license plates and the hood open on a street in New York's Bronx and another in Palo Alto, California. As expected, the car in the Bronx was attacked after a few minutes, with a white couple with a young son taking away the radiator and the battery. After a few days the car had turned into an empty shell in which the kids played.
The Palo Alto car remained unaffected for one week, and after that time Zimbardo decided to make some change, so he moved the car to the Stanford campus and he and a few students started smashing the car with a sledgehammer. Some people got around the scene watching it and, after some time, decided to join in the destruction.

Interesting....

I was only familiar with Zimbardo's work (the prisoner experiment) and not his other social experiments.  I should look them up.