deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Starlink anyone got it ?
So how does it work I'm considering just buying a Motor home and some property as a home base , But traveling as i can make enough to eat and gas , I need internet at all time's since Star Link is satellite based how am I assured to have internet at all times due to the orbit of the satellites ?  

It's $150 per month plus a $599 equipment charge is it worth it ?
Following this thread as I too am considering switching to Starlink, but I am reading good and bad reviews.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
I personally don’t have it yet. But my work partner has bought one that was refurbished for $275 Cdn, and then pays $170/month, and because of spring breakup will pause it until going back to work again.

Maybe that helps??

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
I'm very interested myself.

I have heard several sources but am somewhat skeptical of them... mostly because of the context of the comments... some clearly influenced by the media/industry... others far too gleefully optimistic.

The idea is appealing.  Satellite internet is a good idea.  The benefit of a network of satellites theoretically offers robust coverage (if all the satellites are working) and the throughput is probably as exceptional as advertised.  But I need to hear more from people who use it before I make that investment.  

Cable companies all suck.  The business model is oppressive.  Shadow throttling, bad/unmaintained infrastructure, and other problems are always present with the "providers" we commonly have now.  And I feel they don't 'compete' in any real sense that benefits the consumer - ever.

I'm inclined to try it out... but I just need one more "nudge" to commit... maybe my current provider will give that to me the next time they 'decide' to change things up and blame "the market" ... we'll see.
(03-22-2024, 05:08 PM)Ravenwatcher Wrote: So how does it work I'm considering just buying a Motor home and some property as a home base , But traveling as i can make enough to eat and gas , I need internet at all time's since Star Link is satellite based how am I assured to have internet at all times due to the orbit of the satellites ?  

It's $150 per month plus a $599 equipment charge is it worth it ?

Crazy price difference!

Here in France, it's 50% off hardware at €225 and €40/mo for service. (£75/mo service in UK).

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
Oh, I forgot to add that the system my partner bought is the mobile version that they just stand beside or mount on the vehicle. We can be in very remote areas and they have had zero problems. They also connect with WIFI calling on their cell and can call or text, etc when there are no cell towers in the area.

Tecate
(03-23-2024, 10:27 AM)Tecate Wrote: Oh, I forgot to add that the system my partner bought is the mobile version that they just stand beside or mount on the vehicle. We can be in very remote areas and they have had zero problems. They also connect with WIFI calling on their cell and can call or text, etc when there are no cell towers in the area.

Tecate

That makes a difference because one of the bad reviews I read was that for home setup the kit does not come with mounting hardware nor a long enough cable to run to the house, and some other equipment that the reviewer found was necessary at start up. So, you won't need that extra equipment which may run you another $400 or more.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
Yes, theirs came with everything except a travel case. So they just bought a hard case that fit the dimensions and all good.

Hope that helps people decide. The monthly payment is steep, but you can pause and restart it if you’re using for only certain times.

Tecate
Sorry Ravenwatcher, I’m not sure if have answered your questions.
I only have limited experience with Skylink, but I have given a western Canadian perspective.

Good luck!

Tecate
Nobody seem to be worrying about the dangers of  radiation emitted by starlink to earth .

Electromagnetic radiation emitted from Starlink dishes sickens and kills pets and wildlife