deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
So windows 11 update tanked my system…
Nope definitely not listening…

ongoing problems. This instal is borked. Lots of random problems.

don’t know if it’s just because latest window 11 version is unstable or what. 

sigh
(02-25-2024, 10:58 PM)pianopraze Wrote: Use second option on this page: Microsoft win 11 download

Click create windows 11 installation media - it will walk you through it. Very well done by Microsoft. 

They recommend 8gb I use 16gb usb drive. 

Linux is fun to play with but takes a lot of work.  You can instal Linux Mint on a thum drive and run it right off that without changing you PC.  Just boot to the usb drive and you can experience Linux.  Good tool if windows breaks and you want the files on your hard drive. You can access them even if you can’t boot to windows. Also useful for reformatting hard drives Microsoft updates ruin  [Image: https://denyignorance.com/images/ogemoji...banana.gif]

Thank you for all that info.  

Are you saying that  windows documents file is accessible via the Mint OS?
How big a thumb drive should I use for Linux Mint?
(02-26-2024, 01:58 PM)pianopraze Wrote: Nope definitely not listening…

I didn't mean for your current problem. It was meant for if you decide to reinstall Win11.

I am in the process of putting MS Flight Simulator which I just bought on a new NVME drive.  I was going to use Win 11 but I'll stick with Win 10 as I never had any problems with it as far as my DAW is concerned.

I hope you get your sanity back and some form of resolution.
... an upbeat cynic
(02-26-2024, 06:41 PM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote: Thank you for all that info.  

Are you saying that  windows documents file is accessible via the Mint OS?
How big a thumb drive should I use for Linux Mint?
8gb used to do it. I would recommend larger now a days as they are cheap.

you can see all the files on your computer.  Booting from a thumb drive you will not be using the os on the hard drive. You will be able to see all the drives and their contents.

great way to get your personal files off an unbootable hard drive. You can also reformat the hard drive. You can download windows too a second thumb drive or external disk, and make a windows thumb drive and then reboot with it (remove the Linux drive as you are rebooting) and install windows.

(02-27-2024, 08:12 AM)Morrad Wrote: I didn't mean for your current problem. It was meant for if you decide to reinstall Win11.

I am in the process of putting MS Flight Simulator which I just bought on a new NVME drive.  I was going to use Win 11 but I'll stick with Win 10 as I never had any problems with it as far as my DAW is concerned.

I hope you get your sanity back and some form of resolution.
Not listening was joke about devices listening…

this instal is unstable. Lots of random errors I’ve never seen before.

Going to have to reformat and try again.

very frustrated.
(02-27-2024, 08:27 AM)pianopraze Wrote: 8gb used to do it. I would recommend larger now a days as they are cheap.

you can see all the files on your computer.  Booting from a thumb drive you will not be using the os on the hard drive. You will be able to see all the drives and their contents.

great way to get your personal files off an unbootable hard drive. You can also reformat the hard drive. You can download windows too a second thumb drive or external disk, and make a windows thumb drive and then reboot with it (remove the Linux drive as you are rebooting) and install windows.

Not listening was joke about devices listening…

this instal is unstable. Lots of random errors I’ve never seen before.

Going to have to reformat and try again.

very frustrated.

Is it time critical?  Maybe take a few days off away from it.  That has helped me in the past.
... an upbeat cynic
(02-28-2024, 03:10 PM)Morrad Wrote: Is it time critical?  Maybe take a few days off away from it.  That has helped me in the past.

Nothing time critical except don’t get my down time to play Skyrim.

I kept working on it and got it mostly stable. 

Just reboot more. I’m thinking my motherboard got zapped somehow.  I honestly have never seen such weird behavior on windows. I’m too tight financially to buy a new rig as a 4080ti/super/whatever they want to call it… would be ridiculous.  I went from 1080ti, to a 2080ti… I guess I could just do new mb/cpu and keep the 2080ti… but really would prefer whole new system and turn this into Linux gaming box.

I’ll just muddle along mumbling obscenities at Microsoft.
(03-01-2024, 03:56 PM)pianopraze Wrote: I went from 1080ti, to a 2080ti… I guess I could just do new mb/cpu and keep the 2080ti… but really would prefer whole new system and turn this into Linux gaming box.

I had an Nvidia graphics card 10 years ago and it wouldn't play nice with Linux.  I bought a second hand AMD Radeon 5600 XT last year from Czechoslovakia through eBay.  It was in mint condition with successful testing and absolutely no problems with Linux.  I got it specifically for MSFS.

(03-01-2024, 03:56 PM)pianopraze Wrote: I’ll just muddle along mumbling obscenities at Microsoft.

Have you tried shouting obscenities at it?  Much more therapeutic.
... an upbeat cynic
Yeah Linux And Nvidia never mix well. Onboard AMD video works great.

wife complains when I yell to loud.  

It happens.
I know a lot less about computers than everyone here, however one thing I always do, is establish a restore point before allowing an update.   I hope........... nay, almost pray............ oh hell, I will go ahead and pray...... that it will save me if things go to crap.   I don't understand much of the digital world.   I am not willing to be a part of most of it.  

It seems to me that we are all variables within the digital world, and the owners of such roll us like dice.
(03-04-2024, 03:04 PM)argentus Wrote: I know a lot less about computers than everyone here, however one thing I always do, is establish a restore point before allowing an update.   I hope........... nay, almost pray............ oh hell, I will go ahead and pray...... that it will save me if things go to crap.   I don't understand much of the digital world.   I am not willing to be a part of most of it.  

It seems to me that we are all variables within the digital world, and the owners of such roll us like dice.

I always do this on my macs. Good thinking. 

I had no choice with windows - it did it without my knowledge or permission.