deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"RATE" system query to consider.
Just a quickie, but does anyone else think that adding a negative option to the "RATE" system might create the opportunity to misuse it for anyone who becomes disgruntled or maybe have a beef with another member?

It would be possible for someone to give negative ratings to all posts made by a single member or en-masse to lots of members and falsely destroy the positive aspect in profiles that everyone sees. That can't be good, surely.

Even ATS only had a positive application in the star system used there. There was no negative rating possible.

How about the chance to give a positive rating as normal and instead of the opposite, why not the chance to give a raspberry or something not directly related but equally apparent that shows something negative in it's own right.

For me, it makes the whole system seem open to possible misuse or is there an aspect I'm missing? Do "negative" ratings appear alongside the "positive" ones, thus showing the balance between the two or is it as simple as +1 or -1?

Also, these ratings aren't apparent to individual posts yet are they? Just the member's overall reputation details.

I think this maybe needs early consideration or clarification before it gets set in stone long time.

Thoughts?

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
(05-02-2024, 04:59 PM)Nerb Wrote: Just a quickie, but does anyone else think that adding a negative option to the "RATE" system might create the opportunity to misuse it for anyone who becomes disgruntled or maybe have a beef with another member?

It would be possible for someone to give negative ratings to all posts made by a single member or en-masse to lots of members and destroy the positive aspect in profiles that everyone sees. That can't be good, surely.

Even ATS only had a positive application in the star system used there. There was no negative rating possible.

The "negative" should not have a reflection on the already "positive" rated postings me thinks.

How about the chance to give a positive rating as normal and instead of the opposite, why not the chance to give a raspberry or something not directly related but equally apparent that shows something negative in it's own right.

For me, it makes the whole system seem open to possible misuse or is there an aspect I'm missing? Do "negative" ratings appear alongside the "positive" ones, thus showing the balance between the two?

Also, these ratings aren't apparent to individual posts yet are they? Just the member's overall profile details.

I think this maybe needs early consideration or clarification before it gets set in stone long time.

Thoughts?

We've been discussing that very possibility.

and yes, just the overall score. It's not on each individual post.

I'm inclined to agree though about the negative ratings. I'm disabling that now. Biggrin
[Image: colorblocksig.png]