deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pre-Incan "Stonehenge"-like site
From Discover Magazine - Preceding the Inca, This Andean 'Stonehenge' Was a Space for Ceremony and Ritual
Subtitled: (Ritual circles — like the ancient stone plaza found in Peru's Cajamarca Valley — date back as far as 5,000 years ago. Researchers are digging into these sites to learn more about the Andean cultures that created them.)

I was intrigued because they evoked the idea of a "stonehenge,' which conjures up the other side of the world, in my head.

An ancient stone circle sits on the summit of a mountain overlooking the Cajamarca Valley in Peru’s northern highlands. At first glance, it doesn’t appear particularly remarkable — just a circle about the size of a convenience store, with a smaller circle inside. Meanwhile, what remains of its borders are made up of standing boulders.

It turns out that the 'standing' stones aren't much taller than 5 feet.  But it's still a thing that was done... the article says it must have taken several weeks of work for a large crew to make this space ("At first glance, it doesn’t appear particularly remarkable — just a circle about the size of a convenience store, with a smaller circle inside.") It seems quite old though... ("Radiocarbon dating of material at the base of some of the megalithic stones revealed that the rocks date back as far as 2750 B.C.E.")

Reportedly there were several scattered habitations of varying ages in the area, which seemed to indicate that no one "lived there."

[Image: Circular-sunken-plaza-Caral-Peru.jpg]
(03-04-2024, 09:14 PM)Maxmars Wrote: From Discover Magazine - Preceding the Inca, This Andean 'Stonehenge' Was a Space for Ceremony and Ritual
Subtitled: (Ritual circles — like the ancient stone plaza found in Peru's Cajamarca Valley — date back as far as 5,000 years ago. Researchers are digging into these sites to learn more about the Andean cultures that created them.)

I was intrigued because they evoked the idea of a "stonehenge,' which conjures up the other side of the world, in my head.

An ancient stone circle sits on the summit of a mountain overlooking the Cajamarca Valley in Peru’s northern highlands. At first glance, it doesn’t appear particularly remarkable — just a circle about the size of a convenience store, with a smaller circle inside. Meanwhile, what remains of its borders are made up of standing boulders.

It turns out that the 'standing' stones aren't much taller than 5 feet.  But it's still a thing that was done... the article says it must have taken several weeks of work for a large crew to make this space ("At first glance, it doesn’t appear particularly remarkable — just a circle about the size of a convenience store, with a smaller circle inside.") It seems quite old though... ("Radiocarbon dating of material at the base of some of the megalithic stones revealed that the rocks date back as far as 2750 B.C.E.")

Reportedly there were several scattered habitations of varying ages in the area, which seemed to indicate that no one "lived there."

[Image: https://images.ctfassets.net/cnu0m8re1ex...-Peru.jpg?]

Their in almost every ancient culture, heres an aussie one if your interested

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-15098959
I was not here.
Very cool!  Thanks for  the link!

I would have been hard pressed to recognize that as a 'stonehenge'.  But evidently, they talk about it being used for star gazing.  

I don't think anyone mentioned that at all in the thread article.  They seem to be regarding that one as a ritual/ceremonial place... maybe.
(03-06-2024, 01:43 AM)Maxmars Wrote: Very cool!  Thanks for  the link!

I would have been hard pressed to recognize that as a 'stonehenge'.  But evidently, they talk about it being used for star gazing.  

I don't think anyone mentioned that at all in the thread article.  They seem to be regarding that one as a ritual/ceremonial place... maybe.

some here use natural rock formations that from ac spesific vantage point have the moon aligned ay certain times of the year, but thats not often recognised to the non indigenous and often considered :mythology".
I was not here.
The Ancients loved their stone circles, not surprised to see one here.
Just helps to show there may have been some connection between ancient peoples.
I imagine there are tons more on the continent waiting to be found. Darn Mountains and Jungle.