deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Possible eclipse and/or earthquake-related preparations?
I have photos and screenshots I wanted to post, but I can’t figure out how. I took them myself so there’s no URL to link. 

I wasn’t sure where to post this as it is truly a “Skunk Works” type of post…however I have no solid theory yet.

I live in Vermont near the Canadian border. For those who don’t know, my area is expected to get the best view of the eclipse and as a result there are estimated to be several hundred thousand extra people in the area within the next day or so. Local and state government have prepared for major traffic jams, cellular phone outages, and lean grocery store shelves. It is now about 0300 local time on Sunday. A majority of the larger parking lots in the area are full, motels are filling up with people who made reservations years in advance in many cases, and staples in grocery stores are already wiped out for the most part.

Three days ago we had a significant snowstorm for this time of year. Below, I intended to show you how almost all of the many power outages from that snowstorm have been resolved, but I can’t post the screenshots. We have two electrical utilities whom provide almost all the electricity in the state, those being Vermont Electric Cooperative and Green Mountain Power.

There is a large Doubletree Hotel and conference center located at the junction of interstate 89 and route two, at the Burlington-South Burlington city line. I drive past there or through the parking lot almost every day. Friday night and Saturday morning I observed nothing unusual except slightly more cars than normal.

I drove through just a short time ago and was shocked at what I saw. There was row after row of electrical utility trucks from a company called Holland. I gave up counting at 40 trucks; I would estimate there are 50 to 60 total. I had never heard of the company before so I looked them up online. They are a disaster power restoration company with offices close to me in Quebec and Maine. Among the bucket trucks and work trucks are two mobile command posts.

All of this is in a wide open parking lot for anyone to view.

Since these were not here Friday night, and most local power outages have been dealt with, I’m guessing these trucks are staged here for a different purpose. Does it have to do with the eclipse? Is there a lingering fear of devastating earthquakes in this area? I’m not sure. What are your thoughts?
Former Air Force general says EMP event could happen during April 8 total solar eclipse
"They" are saying that this eclipse could bring power grid problems.   But I"m not seeing how.  We had the same type of eclipse 7 years ago and nothing happened.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
While the processes that could produce a spontaneous burst of electromagnetic energy naturally are constantly ongoing in the sun, it seems that this kind of apocalyptic 'warning' is a bit illogical.

A celestial dead-body in between the sun and the planet doesn't "concentrate" or "isolate" any part of that energy in a "focusing" manner.

Unless I am mistaken... perhaps someone can explain how I am misunderstanding the phenomenon.
(04-07-2024, 12:19 PM)Maxmars Wrote: While the processes that could produce a spontaneous burst of electromagnetic energy naturally are constantly ongoing in the sun, it seems that this kind of apocalyptic 'warning' is a bit illogical.

A celestial dead-body in between the sun and the planet doesn't "concentrate" or "isolate" any part of that energy in a "focusing" manner.

Unless I am mistaken... perhaps someone can explain how I am misunderstanding the phenomenon.

You're not misunderstanding the phenomenon.  THEY are misunderstanding it.
(04-07-2024, 02:32 AM)Rainmaker Wrote: Three days ago we had a significant snowstorm for this time of year. Below, I intended to show you how almost all of the many power outages from that snowstorm have been resolved, but I can’t post the screenshots. We have two electrical utilities whom provide almost all the electricity in the state, those being Vermont Electric Cooperative and Green Mountain Power.

...There was row after row of electrical utility trucks from a company called Holland. I gave up counting at 40 trucks; I would estimate there are 50 to 60 total. I had never heard of the company before so I looked them up online. They are a disaster power restoration company with offices close to me in Quebec and Maine. Among the bucket trucks and work trucks are two mobile command posts.

Sounds to me like the company that assisted with the power outages temporarily parked their vehicles there as the outages were dealt with. Likely it's secure, and they were able to get permission from a friendly business. Is it possible another storm is expected somewhere in that part of the country, or that they parked there for a short time before returning to their home companies yards? Seems logical.

This morning, I noted a news report about some political candidate posting that the earthquake was somehow related to climate change. She of course was undereducated on the topic and made a simple mistake. No big deal, but the trolls on X drove her to remove the post and go private. With all the nonsense online about perfectly normal climate change that's been happening since the Earth formed, it's easy to forgive her for the gaff.

My posting that is not to steer the thread off course, but to point out how hard it is these days to sift through the nonsense mixed with facts online these days. Nonsense about earthquakes gets everyone confused. The last thing anyone should worry about is a "devastating earthquake" in your area.

Where that earthquake was, will never in our lifetime experience a quake large enough to do any damage more than a crack in a window. Historically, in geological terms, earthquakes there are weak by earthquake standards.

The eclipse is interesting to watch, but it poses no risks.

(04-07-2024, 03:22 AM)MBSC Wrote: Former Air Force general says EMP event could happen during April 8 total solar eclipse

That's not a credible news site. It's a fake news site that puts links in the stories to sell you things. Things targeted at a specific audience. They want you to go to places like Natural News, where they scare people into buying sketchy products.

That article is trying to sell me "Toothsalt With Neem". If I were scared enough to have a bug-out bag, I would not waste money on gimmicky crap like that. A real bug-out bag would have hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, not expensive snake oil. It may try to sell you something else, depending on what personal information from Google they have on you and your browsing habits.

Fear is a powerful marketing tool used by companies without credibility and sell people things they don't need. Follow the money. It leads to the real truths out there.

Former Generals as just as prone to nonsense as anyone else, if that General even exists. They are also prone to dementia in old age just as we all are, along with greed which in my opinion is at the heart of the stories those sites peddle.
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
- Benjamin Franklin -

Small update though I’m working a ton of overtime and about to lay down exhausted for my final nap before the big event. 

Only a handful of trucks were moved yesterday. 

I work for one of the jurisdictions that touches that area so people don’t find it unusual to see me many places. Thus, I stopped in at the hotel desk and made small talk with the clerk, remarking how busy they were. I threw in a query about the trucks and the clerk said he knew they “have a government contract” but didn’t know if it was state or local or federal. He said they had arrived the day before, gone through their PMCS, then locked up the trucks “until they see if they’re needed”. I asked what they may be needed for and he said he didn’t know.

If it’s not too chaotic I’ll try to stop in again today or tomorrow. But things are quickly picking up around here as far as traffic and silliness go.