deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Popular gadgets for measuring blood sugar - "Not so fast." says FDA
Since diabetes entered my personal world, I have come to be sensitive to the 'utterances' of medical advertisers, casual conversations, and technical journals.  I had a personal stake, you see... so it seemed reasonable to pay attention to the 'goings on.'  The net result was my complete 'unplugging' from popular "commerce-driven" media...  It turns out that when "making a sale" is the object of the exercise, advertising can be the source of many "bad things."

The Engagdet article I am pointing to seems an affirmation of my decision:

"Don't use smartwatches and rings that claim to measure blood sugar without needles, the FDA warns... It can't be done yet, folks."

Which bears some important information for diabetics who, like many of my acquaintances are always in the market for "better" gizmos.

To summarize:  Despite over a decade of research, there has yet to be a way to measure blood sugar without actually sampling blood.  The FDA has yet to approve any device based upon such a claim. 

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday issued a safety communication warning people to stay way from smartwatches and smart rings that claim to measure blood sugar levels without pricking the skin. “The FDA has not authorized, cleared, or approved any smartwatch or smart ring that is intended to measure or estimate blood glucose values on its own,” the agency wrote in the communication, and asked consumers, patients, and caregivers to stay away from such devices.

Non invasive blood sugar monitoring isn’t currently possible on any consumer device Popular wearables like the Apple Watch and the Oura ring can, instead, pair with FDA-authorized wearable devices like the Dexcom G7, which uses needles to read your blood sugar levels.

The article author closes the article with a bit of advice:

... be skeptical of any device that claims to do this right now. Current smartwatches and smart rings “do not directly test blood glucose levels,” the FDA writes. If you spot any company selling a device with these claims, you can report it to the FDA through the agency’s MedWatch Voluntary Reporting Form.

Thanks for your attention.
Found another recent article reiterating the message ...

Beware smartwatches that claim to monitor blood sugar without skin prick, FDA says

From LiveScience...

... of course, they're not telling us exactly "who" is selling these products... but be alert nevertheless, for yourselves. your loved ones, and friends...

The FDA's warning applies to any smartwatch or smart ring that claims to measure blood sugar without piercing the skin. The agency's warning didn't list any specific products but noted that such devices are made by dozens of companies and are sold under multiple brand names. They're often sold through online marketplaces or directly from their makers, the agency noted.

An interesting side note, I think (from PatentlyO) : Newly Released CBP Ruling Reveals Apple Watch Pulse Oximetry Redesign

As it turns out Apple had a bit of a hitch in their plans to roll out their watch to US markets, complicated in part because of a ...

... legal battle between medical device company Masimo and tech giant Apple over pulse oximetry technology that Masimo patented and that Apple included in its Apple Watch.

There are restrictions against importing selling such merchandise for sale in the US.  Probably because of the government's position regarding the device.

Of course, Apple "fixed it" for sale in the country by creating a firmware switch that turns the feature off, coupled with iPhone software that refuses to turn it back on... (things that make me go, "hmmm.")

Just thought I'd add it here, as it is related to the whole "devices that can display blood information without actually sampling blood" angle.