deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Petabyte on a disc? ... Yup, sure can.
Check this out!  When the book had been closed on the inevitable demise of physical media, I at least, had believed that this angle of development might have gone the way of the dinosaur... then this article jumped out a me.  (Thank goodness for material sciences.)

From TechXplore: A DVD-sized disk that can store 1 million movies

A team of photonic engineers affiliated with several institutions in China has developed a new type of optical DVD that is capable of holding up to a petabyte of data. The group used a new material to coat the DVDs and new laser techniques to write data. The results are published in Nature.

Interestingly, it was a matter of using new material coating and new lasers.  

The type of DVDs currently used to hold movies and data have a capacity of 4.5 gigabytes—enough to store approximately two hours of video. Data is written using a laser to etch a series of zeros and ones onto its surface. In this new effort, the team in China found a way to store significantly more data on a DVD using an entirely new approach.

Their new method involves storing data in 3D instead of as a single layer. The team found they were able to store data on a single disk with up to 100 layers. To create multiple layers on a disk, the team developed a special coating and then developed a way to etch the individual layers using special patterns of light and a dye in the coating that allowed for etching at the nanoparticle scale. This allowed them to store data at an unprecedented level.

Well... unless Big Tech squashes this, they will have to endure a radical change in the market.  They usually don't like that.   I hope this makes for a real change in the way that market exploitation keeps benefits of new tech away from consumers until they can monopolize the market. 

I predict "opportunity lost" as the outcome.
Or is this maybe propaganda? 
Or am I wrong for even considering that?

Illustration:  https://scx1.b-cdn.net/csz/news/800a/202...k-that.jpg
Saw it on my FB feed and my first thought was YAY, my second thought is I cant afford a new laptop. I get that it want be consumer ready yet, but if they do become consumer available this is great cos not all of us like digital distribution. Years ago I wrote about Radioheads "In Rainbows" album, people still purchased the hard copy even tho it was available free to DL. No I'm not going to link that paper as its got my real name on it.

If anyone is interested, this is the album
https://archive.org/details/radiohead-in_rainbows-aac
I was not here.
(02-24-2024, 05:38 PM)Maxmars Wrote: Check this out!  When the book had been closed on the inevitable demise of physical media, I at least, had believed that this angle of development might have gone the way of the dinosaur... then this article jumped out a me.  (Thank goodness for material sciences.)

From TechXplore: A DVD-sized disk that can store 1 million movies

A team of photonic engineers affiliated with several institutions in China has developed a new type of optical DVD that is capable of holding up to a petabyte of data. The group used a new material to coat the DVDs and new laser techniques to write data. The results are published in Nature.

Interestingly, it was a matter of using new material coating and new lasers.  

The type of DVDs currently used to hold movies and data have a capacity of 4.5 gigabytes—enough to store approximately two hours of video. Data is written using a laser to etch a series of zeros and ones onto its surface. In this new effort, the team in China found a way to store significantly more data on a DVD using an entirely new approach.

Their new method involves storing data in 3D instead of as a single layer. The team found they were able to store data on a single disk with up to 100 layers. To create multiple layers on a disk, the team developed a special coating and then developed a way to etch the individual layers using special patterns of light and a dye in the coating that allowed for etching at the nanoparticle scale. This allowed them to store data at an unprecedented level.

Well... unless Big Tech squashes this, they will have to endure a radical change in the market.  They usually don't like that.   I hope this makes for a real change in the way that market exploitation keeps benefits of new tech away from consumers until they can monopolize the market. 

I predict "opportunity lost" as the outcome.
Or is this maybe propaganda? 
Or am I wrong for even considering that?

Illustration:  https://scx1.b-cdn.net/csz/news/800a/202...k-that.jpg

This is fantastic, if true.

Sadly, I think you are correct that advancements always seem to be stifled because quick progress tend to lose people their jobs and dinosaur companies may go under.
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
I find myself often perplexed with the idea that commercial opportunities are responsible for both the dissemination of technological improvements, as well as the overall suppression of technology.

And I am a little disappointed that government actually supports the latter with force, and the former only with "politics."
(02-25-2024, 11:34 AM)Maxmars Wrote: I find myself often perplexed with the idea that commercial opportunities are responsible for both the dissemination of technological improvements, as well as the overall suppression of technology.

And I am a little disappointed that government actually supports the latter with force, and the former only with "politics."

Well we can't depend on any government to spend taxpayer money on human advancement when wars continue to be waged.

There is hope, though, as seen with the recent moon landing by a private company MI, whose main customer is NASA. What's that saying? "Build it and government will come?"
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
(02-25-2024, 12:05 PM)quintessentone Wrote: Well we can't depend on any government to spend taxpayer money on human advancement when wars continue to be waged.

Apparently, the entrenched 'status quo' worshippers fear peace.