Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Third of Married Couples Sleep in Separate Bedrooms
I posted this at ATS but thought I'd use it as practice to try posting here ... still figuring out how to post links and quotes etc etc here ....

According to a recent poll - One third of married couples sleep in separate bedrooms.  There is a stigma attached to that so I'm surprised people admitted to it.  My parents and in-laws both did this and it worked well.  They were both married over 50 years.   GOTTA get a good nights sleep!

One Third of Married Couples Sleep in Separate Bedrooms

Quote:More than one-third of Americans have filed for a sleep divorce, according to a survey from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) of more than 2,000 adults.

Many couples struggle to get a good night’s sleep together fumbling with earplugs, eye masks, silent alarms and different bedtimes, before eventually opting for separate bedrooms.

“We know that poor sleep can worsen your mood, and those who are sleep deprived are more likely to argue with their partners,” Dr. Seema Khosla, a pulmonologist and spokesperson for the AASM, said in a statement.

“Getting a good night’s sleep is important for both health and happiness, so it’s no surprise that some couples choose to sleep apart for their overall well-being,” she added.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
Not for me!  I love being able to wake up in the night and curl up next to him.

It's very traditional -- but only if you were upper class.  Then you'd have servants and separate bedrooms with a dressing room for each.  Poor folks slept with multiple people in a bed (parents, kids all together.)  

Also, that's European-American culture.  I'm not certain about Eastern cultures (like China), or Polynesian, or tribal groups.
It's sleep priority for me.  But I love intimate mornings.

I have a physical condition with muscle spasms, etc.  I keep both of us awake.
My Bride and me will always sleep together.   I mean, sometimes we wake each other with various noises and motions, but I cannot imagine wanting anything different.  

On those rare occasions where I have to travel overnight, neither of us sleeps well.     We spent an obscene amount of money on a bed with two adjustable twin beds;  it cost more than any used car I've ever purchased.   Still, that keeps us mostly sane.   If one of us is sick,  we segregate, and I sleep on the couch.   

Better living through chemistry.  She takes Zopliclone, and I take CBD +THC.   Winning!!
I prefer flexibility, I used to travel for a living and I'm a virtual insomniac.  So if my partner is OK with that, most are, we are good. There have been times when I'll find the guest room or sofa is just more comfortable. Not to mention there have been times when my girlfriend has cats or dogs, since I grew up in a house with indoor dogs and cats are not normally a big deal. Just depending on how they were or were not trained. LOL. 

All of that and I still prefer to sleep with her than not, Ive had one ex get upset though, Id went downstairs and crashed on the sofa, I got woken up at 3:00 in the morning with What are you doing down here when she was doing the huffing and puffing thing when I was upstairs and didn't want to disturb her anymore. 

The ideal situation is when I lived in an apartment, and met a woman in the building and we would spend time together and mess around but we had different morning schedules so usually even if we fell asleep at one or the others apartment we had the freedom to split and go home at any time, Who knows though we were both coming off heavy-duty LTRs and just needed the alone time too

We used to read to each other in bed, LOL she would pass out and I'd read till 3-4 and then go home, had to convince her I wasn't angry just usually thought I'd never sleep till I got in my bed. You do miss the morning sex occasionally, but if we had the same day off that wasn't a problem either.

(12-23-2023, 12:52 PM)Byrd Wrote: Not for me!  I love being able to wake up in the night and curl up next to him.

It's very traditional -- but only if you were upper class.  Then you'd have servants and separate bedrooms with a dressing room for each.  Poor folks slept with multiple people in a bed (parents, kids all together.)  

Also, that's European-American culture.  I'm not certain about Eastern cultures (like China), or Polynesian, or tribal groups.

This brings up another point I love sleeping in the cold, so snuggling isn't a problem, but when it gets hot, I prefer to be the spoon and not the spoonie. Then there is are we just snuggling...cause snuggling in the morning almost always leads to extracurricular activities.. just saying...
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
My husband had sleep apnea, and before he was diagnosed, the snoring drove me crazy. I was at my wits end. I was considering buying one of those recliners you can sleep in. Once he got his CPAP, it was so wonderful sleeping with him again. 

Now that I'm a widow, I really miss sleeping with him. I get that many couples sleep in separate rooms, but I could never do that.