deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New images emerging now of the British ship "RUBYMAR" that was sunk by the Houthis
New images emerging now of the British ship "RUBYMAR" that was sunk by the Houthis in the Red Sea.

How long can this go on in the Red Sea, the US has to be burning through countermeasures.

https://x.com/Osint613/status/1760443420173099083?s=20

Pertinent article 

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy...e-red-sea/
Quote: 
A destroyer’s five-inch gun and smaller missile options would make sense in the Red Sea against incoming Houthi fires, but it remains to be seen whether the surface fleet would culturally choose those options, given how ingrained the concepts of layered defense are within the fleet and the desire to take down a threat from as far away as possible, according to van Tol.
“Ultimately the likely future increase in numbers of simultaneous incoming threats will require higher capacities of defensive fires, and those can’t only be expensive [long-range, surface-to-air missiles], both for cost imposition and limited ship [vertical launch system] capacity reasons,” he said.

“[I have] no idea what specific doctrine our ships are using in the Red Sea, but you generally train to use multiple missiles per engagement,” Holmes said. “If it’s an SM-2 engagement … the latest variant of the SM-2 seems to run about $2.4 million per round, so you’re talking just under $5 million to bring down what is probably an inexpensive threat. And again, weapons expended in the Red Sea are weapons not available in the primary theater, East Asia, and are not quickly replaced.”

Still, some analysts argue that shooting Houthi drones out of the sky with SM-2s might not be an ideal solution.
“Today’s operations will stress the sustainability of the U.S. surface fleet, which relies on relatively expensive weapons for self-defense,” Bryan Clark, a retired submariner and current senior fellow at the Hudson Institute, said in an email to Navy Times.

Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
So in 1772 when the British flagged ships started to sink on their own and not because of a revolution, we sided with the British shipping merchants?
I was not here.
(02-22-2024, 11:58 AM)BeTheGoddess Wrote: So in 1772 when the British flagged ships started to sink on their own and not because of a revolution, we sided with the British shipping merchants?

Talk about a non sequitur...

I always try and listen to someone with "BetheGoddess" as a screen name. But try as I may I'm not sure where you are going with this. Other than the world has changed and yes we probably should be on the side of the countries and companies who would like to ship goods through the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....