deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Leave the World Behind
I was recommended to check this out by my boss the other day, so I gave it a try and I think I only made it like 15 minutes in (out of a whopping 2 hours 21m) and it gave me the distinct impression the director wanted to give a very Stanley Kubrick kind of feel but with the usual modern trappings of film. The whole premise (gleaned from reading the description on IMDB) basically was a Y2K styled event and just did not seem to come across very well due to a slow start and some disjointed dialog.

Has anyone else watched it further or to completion and found it to improve further in?
(12-14-2023, 10:23 AM)Helig Wrote: I was recommended to check this out by my boss the other day, so I gave it a try and I think I only made it like 15 minutes in (out of a whopping 2 hours 21m) and it gave me the distinct impression the director wanted to give a very Stanley Kubrick kind of feel but with the usual modern trappings of film. The whole premise (gleaned from reading the description on IMDB) basically was a Y2K styled event and just did not seem to come across very well due to a slow start and some disjointed dialog.

Has anyone else watched it further or to completion and found it to improve further in?

[Image: exclamation.png] [Image: exclamation.png]SPOILERS AHEAD[Image: exclamation.png]
I watched it last night, the movie was pure trash. Its like they wanted to be secretive, while discussing a powerful cabal, propaganda pamphlets, and all we were supposed to believe it was outside forces. They could have done so much more with this film, they had great actors but no story.
Tesla cars were auto driving and crashing everywhere, animals were freaking out and migrating out of control. They were trying to be smart and ended up making no sense, the acting was weird, they threw in the "racist" parts fairly early.

This I will say, even though the movie was horrible imho, they did cover how humans would act towards each other should shit hit the fan, each character was a portrayal of what would would end up seeing at some point. We have the rich white couple from the city escaping to the country to a B+B, then we have black folks who show up their after a black out, and the wife doesn't believe anything they say, even though it was his house her family rented.

We also have the jaded young black woman, who though you can tell the white woman is terrified of the father, is not afraid to let her know that she doesn't like her either, so there is this conscious back and forth. So, I think that also covers the "race" part of SHTF, they didn't bring religion into it, but I think that would have been an important part, on how religious people would take this.

Then we have the guy with a gun, who was your "friend" before, but sure as hell isn't now, his is his, if you weren't prepared, oh well. Finally you find out that this is indeed a coup d'é·tat, that in fact the most cost effective way to take over a country, is by taking from them, and then them killing themselves, while the government is taken over.

So. That's my take LOL
It's more of a mind thing.

I think the actors are great -- who knew Julia Roberts could be such a bitch.

If you go into it with no expectations, relax and let it pull you in -- I think it works.

I think you actually feel each character, as you are that character.  

I think the little girl was great, she has quite a presence.
(12-19-2023, 08:00 PM)ANNEE Wrote: It's more of a mind thing.

I think the actors are great -- who knew Julia Roberts could be such a bitch.

If you go into it with no expectations, relax and let it pull you in -- I think it works.

I think you actually feel each character, as you are that character.  

I think the little girl was great, she has quite a presence.

I agree, Julia Roberts had a scowl on her face for about 90% of the movie lol, and yes that little girl gave me the same vibes as the girl in Hereditary, if you've ever seen it.

Peace, NRE
I think it was an excellent movie with good acting, however the ending was one of those artsy-fartsy ones that doesn't resolve, and you are expected to create your own ending.   I hate that.  Really.   

I hated the ending so much, it made me want to go find a 70's western, just so I could watch a movie that ended they way it should.   Tongue
It's my understanding they stayed pretty close to the book it's based on.   I was unspoiled going in, and I always like a dystopian movie.   

Julia was a bitch,Ethan seemed kind of clueless, neither parent really understood the daughter.  I kind of like how they present you really don't know what's going on.  I liked the symbolism in the kids t-shirts, the art work changed in the living area, etc.   I liked the "unsettled" feeling. 

I've liked Mahershala Ali since I first saw him in the 4400 years ago. The daughter was a bit much, but she was picking up the nasty vibes from Julia Roberts and realized what likely happened to her mom.  

For a rainy Sunday afternoon,  I enjoyed it.
The "other" daughter.  Not Rose. Was my least favorite.  As you say a bit much.  They could've toned her down a touch.
(12-21-2023, 01:56 PM)ANNEE Wrote: The "other" daughter.  Not Rose. Was my least favorite.  As you say a bit much.  They could've toned her down a touch.
Actors, smactors. If you look at the whole premise It's pure ATS territory. NWO and the plan laid out on how to take down a country. And what I say in it was what is now happening in America now, the start. The main actor even lays out the premise for the NWO, ie. he say "yes, they is a cabal, but they are not the force they think they are and they will suffer the same as everybody". He also lays out the 3 step plan that in real life could be used. I really looked on the film as a "might be" future documentary because it really smacks of possibility.