deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I must expound upon the state of society and the trajectory it presently pursues.
Regrettably, it appears that a considerable segment of the populace remains ensconced in a state of intellectual delusion, buoyed by the illusion of erudition bestowed upon them by facile access to information, contingent upon the functionality of certain systems. This facile access to knowledge does not beget wisdom. Furthermore, it is disheartening to witness the lamentable lack of focus pervasive among many individuals. Rather than engaging in the profound contemplation afforded by literature, they prefer the fleeting gratification of 30 second video clips. It is plausible that this predilection stems from an inability to sustain attention for the duration required to peruse even a solitary page. 

Moreover, an acute self-absorption pervades contemporary society, wherein concerns for the collective welfare and the preservation of the future are eclipsed by the relentless pursuit of transient amusement. The pernicious ramifications of this societal trend upon humanity are grave indeed, yet regrettably, the majority remains oblivious to its deleterious effects. Those who discern the encroaching peril seem woefully indifferent, bereft of the requisite fortitude to effect meaningful change. 

In light of these observations, I find myself consumed by an ineffable sense of frustration. This is not the world I once knew; it has undergone a lamentable metamorphosis, leaving me disheartened and profoundly unsettled.
What is your definition of "the encroaching peril" on your timeline?

The last time somebody invoked the upcoming "peril" the speaker spoke of the peril of war and we were in our last thousand days before another World War, that was the fall of 1979...for perspective...

We seem closer to WWIII than ever in my lifetime, but I don't think it's actually going to happen, even though that's exactly what those who profit from war want the GP to believe
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
(02-16-2024, 02:07 PM)TheCustodian Wrote: Regrettably, it appears that a considerable segment of the populace remains ensconced in a state of intellectual delusion, buoyed by the illusion of erudition bestowed upon them by facile access to information, contingent upon the functionality of certain systems. This facile access to knowledge does not beget wisdom. Furthermore, it is disheartening to witness the lamentable lack of focus pervasive among many individuals. Rather than engaging in the profound contemplation afforded by literature, they prefer the fleeting gratification of 30 second video clips. It is plausible that this predilection stems from an inability to sustain attention for the duration required to peruse even a solitary page. 

Moreover, an acute self-absorption pervades contemporary society, wherein concerns for the collective welfare and the preservation of the future are eclipsed by the relentless pursuit of transient amusement. The pernicious ramifications of this societal trend upon humanity are grave indeed, yet regrettably, the majority remains oblivious to its deleterious effects. Those who discern the encroaching peril seem woefully indifferent, bereft of the requisite fortitude to effect meaningful change. 

In light of these observations, I find myself consumed by an ineffable sense of frustration. This is not the world I once knew; it has undergone a lamentable metamorphosis, leaving me disheartened and profoundly unsettled.

I am among those (at least I hope I'm not alone) who have theorized that this "state of affairs" is not organic. 

In my opinion, it is not a function of "people," but instead of reinforced conditioning.  The lamentation I perceive in your comment is not strictly associated with you, but with many people. 

We can't seem to escape it in history.  There have always been, in any community (so to speak,) a subset of people who have evaluated observations of the human world, expressing loss and diminishment.  The overall manifestation ranges from "What's wrong with people nowadays?" to "It was never like this before!" to even "The end is nigh!"  In some cases, it appears to be related to what I would call loosely "growing up" or "finding your way."

Your assertion (roughly speaking) that being able to access information with ease does not engender wisdom, seems likely to be universally true.  But I think that in many cases (more obviously for the younger generations) the idea that what they have access to means they "know" things is the culprit.

The proliferation of monetized "videos" titled to attract attention, but lacking value as content is partially to blame.  For example, find your favorite speakers on the internet and you will find that they are not the ones "publishing" the content.  It is a 'curation' gone wrong scenario.  But the marketing pushes it... for the clicks (and hence the money.)  Find a set of information about the specifics of any topic... and discover that they are NOT complete, or even entertain dissent in a dispassionate manner.  If you build your "position" on them you risk being part to the problem, or at least you fail to 'learn' and only 'indoctrinate' yourself.

Your frustration is shared by many... you are most definitely not alone.

But have hope.  There is some to have.  The simple truths are self-evident and only defeatable with outrageous efforts than turn the messenger into a clown.  Hence, humor.

The world will never be static (thank goodness) so we must acclimatize ourselves to be resilient to change.  And even apparent ridiculous deviations will eventually swing back to something less alarming, less irritating.  People have always been the architects of their human reality.  Stay calm, stay the course, and remember... you always have us.
(02-16-2024, 02:59 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I am among those (at least I hope I'm not alone) who have theorized that this "state of affairs" is not organic. 

In my opinion, it is not a function of "people," but instead of reinforced conditioning.  The lamentation I perceive in your comment is not strictly associated with you, but with many people. 

We can't seem to escape it in history.  There have always been, in any community (so to speak,) a subset of people who have evaluated observations of the human world, expressing loss and diminishment.  The overall manifestation ranges from "What's wrong with people nowadays?" to "It was never like this before!" to even "The end is nigh!"  In some cases, it appears to be related to what I would call loosely "growing up" or "finding your way."

Your assertion (roughly speaking) that being able to access information with ease does not engender wisdom, seems likely to be universally true.  But I think that in many cases (more obviously for the younger generations) the idea that what they have access to means they "know" things is the culprit.

The proliferation of monetized "videos" titled to attract attention, but lacking value as content is partially to blame.  For example, find your favorite speakers on the internet and you will find that they are not the ones "publishing" the content.  It is a 'curation' gone wrong scenario.  But the marketing pushes it... for the clicks (and hence the money.)  Find a set of information about the specifics of any topic... and discover that they are NOT complete, or even entertain dissent in a dispassionate manner.  If you build your "position" on them you risk being part to the problem, or at least you fail to 'learn' and only 'indoctrinate' yourself.

Your frustration is shared by many... you are most definitely not alone.

But have hope.  There is some to have.  The simple truths are self-evident and only defeatable with outrageous efforts than turn the messenger into a clown.  Hence, humor.

The world will never be static (thank goodness) so we must acclimatize ourselves to be resilient to change.  And even apparent ridiculous deviations will eventually swing back to something less alarming, less irritating.  People have always been the architects of their human reality.  Stay calm, stay the course, and remember... you always have us.

All good points.... I reminded myself this just today as I watched a podcast about a current event, #1 the guy is much younger and less experienced #2 he admits to having ADHD and slight OCD yet he is on this fairly popular podcast pontificating over-reactionary viewpoints on what to me is seemingly irrelevant to the situation, yet he and those comment it becomes the lynchpin to thier argument. 

It's as if I can agree with his ultimate conclusions but disagree with the planks he and they use to support the conclusions.
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
I have to agree with much said here so far, and would point towards many reasons for the frustration.

A wish to have an answer that fits a question for a feeling of satisfaction rather than have a personal thought process to verify that the answer is a good one or the best one on an individual level is often substituted for knee-jerk reactions. The buck seems to stop once the space is filled but it is the feelings that will determine it.
Apathy and Simping are the norm these days because few seem to have strong opinions from their own minds worth anything, afraid of scrutiny perhaps for fear of ridicule. Unfortunately a need to be provided not only with an answer from an outside source but to presume the space in the mind must also be afforded. How many times do we answer a question to immediately be greeted with "eh"? or "what"?
This seems to be how people choose to operate due to main stream media, the evolution of hollywood movies and the evolution of the internet providing "truth" at the touch of a button.

I have to admit, I sometimes watch quick clip videos but also spend hours watching documentaries, so the contrast satisfies my wishes for the quick glance of the crazy reality of the world but also the nitty-gritty of the big "WHY"?

As for reading, I grew up reading reference books and catalogues. I was fascinated with the real world and only did fantasy in my own imagination or having fun with friends. The reading gave me an incredible sense not only of value, but what the world around me consisted of. It has done me a good favour in the long run and prevented me from a world of "whatever" or one where I need so much "stuff". Understanding Value is a fine asset to possess.

Regarding mobile phones, it has removed imo a sense of responsibility for human connection and communication and the thumb text speak has such a disconnection from the recipient that people actually struggle to use a voice beyond connecting for attention or to satisfy demands. So many times I have answered the telephone to someone saying "hello" and then there is silence as if the whole purpose of the call was to get a hook in for some free energy with little to offer themselves. Intelligent conversation is dying. Even emails can be frustrating with no consideration for grammar, context or sharing.

The Zombie Apocalype is well and truly here me thinks. We just have to keep TALKING with a voice, good writing, consideration and thoughtfulness, or those times will make future times impossible for HUMANS.

Divide and conquer eh?

Beer

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
(02-19-2024, 06:53 PM)Nerb Wrote: I have to agree with much said here so far, and would point towards many reasons for the frustration.

A wish to have an answer that fits a question for a feeling of satisfaction rather than have a personal thought process to verify that the answer is a good one or the best one on an individual level is often substituted for knee-jerk reactions. The buck seems to stop once the space is filled but it is the feelings that will determine it.
Apathy and Simping are the norm these days because few seem to have strong opinions from their own minds worth anything, afraid of scrutiny perhaps for fear of ridicule. Unfortunately a need to be provided not only with an answer from an outside source but to presume the space in the mind must also be afforded. How many times do we answer a question to immediately be greeted with "eh"? or "what"?
This seems to be how people choose to operate due to main stream media, the evolution of hollywood movies and the evolution of the internet providing "truth" at the touch of a button.

I have to admit, I sometimes watch quick clip videos but also spend hours watching documentaries, so the contrast satisfies my wishes for the quick glance of the crazy reality of the world but also the nitty-gritty of the big "WHY"?

As for reading, I grew up reading reference books and catalogues. I was fascinated with the real world and only did fantasy in my own imagination or having fun with friends. The reading gave me an incredible sense not only of value, but what the world around me consisted of. It has done me a good favour in the long run and prevented me from a world of "whatever" or one where I need so much "stuff". Understanding Value is a fine asset to possess.

Regarding mobile phones, it has removed imo a sense of responsibility for human connection and communication and the thumb text speak has such a disconnection from the recipient that people actually struggle to use a voice beyond connecting for attention or to satisfy demands. So many times I have answered the telephone to someone saying "hello" and then there is silence as if the whole purpose of the call was to get a hook in for some free energy with little to offer themselves. Intelligent conversation is dying. Even emails can be frustrating with no consideration for grammar, context or sharing.

The Zombie Apocalype is well and truly here me thinks. We just have to keep TALKING with a voice, good writing, consideration and thoughtfulness, or those times will make future times impossible for HUMANS.

Divide and conquer eh?

Beer

Thats so ironic I read all kinds of books but I have a special fondness for the reference section,I was reading The Book of Lists as a kid and The Straight Dope as a young adult. 

I agree on communication and even more so on communicating across all demographic subsets. Its also ironic you mention people now stuck with thier noses in thier phone. I guess it depends on what you say, there's something about a text or email, where you can read it verbatim over and over most times there is no ambiguity and the point is made loud and clear. Some of my most productive talks with my daughters and stepdaughters over the years were texts. Was talking with my youngest, she said my texts were usually excellent because they removed the emotion and chaos that sometimes verbal communication has. 

On the worldly stage
Ultimately we had better accept differences and try and find commonalities and effective ways to communicate, so tired of the divisiveness.
A lot of what has been said here is kinda the electronic "warfare" I'm trying to find more about. I have seen how social media has been weaponized, and how in some cases they have completely revised the narrative not just on people but entire topics.

Years ago I read about how law enforcment has a different Facebook interface allowing them better access to others information. At the time of reading this, the only Australian state to have not signed up was Victoria. This was years ago. But this is bigget that law enforcment--its COINTELPRO by a whole network of agencies and groups, many NGO with no accountability.

They know 5 second vid clips dumb down the ordinance--remember that fkn dancing fkn baby in the early days of the web and how it took peoples attention away from whats really going on. If anyone can find out if that fkn dancinf fkn baby was created by the CIA, let me know.

Video killed the radio star, was the first clip played on MTV, and it went downhill from there.
I was not here.
(02-19-2024, 10:49 PM)putnam6 Wrote: Thats so ironic I read all kinds of books but I have a special fondness for the reference section,I was reading The Book of Lists as a kid and The Straight Dope as a young adult. 

Double ironic. One of my favorite books I remember as a kid was "The Album Book Of Albums" which featured hundreds of beautiful record album covers. I looked at it again when I visited my father last Christmas.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
(02-20-2024, 12:07 AM)Nerb Wrote: Double ironic. One of my favorite books I remember as a kid was "The Album Book Of Albums" which featured hundreds of beautiful record album covers. I looked at it again when I visited my father last Christmas.

Some would say you prefer order to chaos and are sensitive to what causes chaos and often see patterns and conclusions others miss completely

As for the loss of communication and the art of communicating some say thats by design, just like destroying the nuclear family. Individuals are easier to control than groups. I can guarantee Boomers feel less alone than the preceding generations

Quote:Practical and dedicated, the "Logistician" ISTJ is a nonfiction junkie. They like facts and figures, they take pride in their work, and they roll their eyes at schmaltzy cliches. Give them an in-depth book of long-form journalism or a fascinating science tome, and your ISTJ will soon be geeking out over all that sweet sweet knowledge.