deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Hacked 'smart' toothbrushes launch DDOS attack
I mean really?

From CircleID: Millions of Smart Toothbrushes Hijacked in Cyberattack on Swiss Firm

Hackers have commandeered approximately three million smart toothbrushes, transforming them into a botnet for launching a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack against a Swiss company’s website, causing significant financial losses.
 According to a report by Aargauer Zeitung, the attack exploited vulnerabilities in the Java-based operating system used by these internet-connected dental devices, which are typically designed to monitor and improve users’ oral hygiene.
The targeted Swiss company suffered extensive financial damage due to the DDoS attack, potentially exacerbated by a refusal to meet the hackers’ ransom demands. 

Perhaps this is a demonstration of how "misinformation" gets rolling along... and as usual, by the press itself.

There has been a lot of backtracking on this story... and, petty though it may be, I find this very funny.

2 days after the report, the source's material was "updated" to read...

Security firm now says toothbrush DDOS attack didn't happen, but source publication says company presented it as real

... and it made me think... was this press-release turned "news" report actually something to bolster an insurance claim or something?

Update 2 — 2/9/2024 6:30am PT: The security company at the nexus of the original report that three million toothbrushes were used in a DDOS attack has now retracted the story and claimed it was a result of a mistranslation — but according to the news outlet that published the initial report, that statement isn't true. The reports of this story are not based on a mistranslation by the media. The publication claims Fortinet presented the story as having actually happened and approved the text of the article, which had been submitted to Fortinet prior to publication.

Oooh, we have a "he said/she said" scenario here... interesting... (if true.)

"Smart devices" ... just how smart are they?

Good for a giggle... which will fade away as you think about it.
There are 'smart' toothbrushes?
Geeeze, I don't even have a smart phone, let alone a smart toothbrush.
I"m really behind on things.   Oh well ....
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
I dont have those electric toothbrush,  never had.

Why it has to be smart ?

Yeeh indeed really.

Why they put wireless tech to toothbrush ?

Sorry...im just old lol Thumbup
(03-05-2024, 02:35 PM)Kenzo Wrote: I dont have those electric toothbrush,  never had.
Why it has to be smart ?
Yeeh indeed really.
Why they put wireless tech to toothbrush ?
Sorry...im just old lol Thumbup

I think the gimmick was to "add" new functionality to "smart phones" to 'track' your dental hygiene regimen.

Of course, since "smart phones" are SO VERY secure... it went there... like nearly every "application" ever made for smart phones.  Go figure.

It's not that your "old" ... it's that this is "new." 

And while later generations are conditioned to think "new" is automatically "better," it very often leads to "walking into walls."
(03-05-2024, 02:43 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I think the gimmick was to "add" new functionality to "smart phones" to 'track' your dental hygiene regimen.

Of course, since "smart phones" are SO VERY secure... it went there... like nearly every "application" ever made for smart phones.  Go figure.

It's not that your "old" ... it's that this is "new." 

And while later generations are conditioned to think "new" is automatically "better," it very often leads to "walking into walls."

Yep ,  the new  virtual reality  things  for example.....that put to head,  somehow i feel it's  harmfull.....

years ago, they tell dont watch TV too near, it's bad to eyes.  Now they put the VR tech  to head....RF radiation is also known to cause eye damage , those VR tech probably have  wireless function.

i have limited smartphone usage,  less using.....even keep it offline.  

i am master of my own domain  Lol
A dev I worked with said he put nginx on his coffee maker. Why?, because he is a dork.

https://nginx.org/en/

I wish I could remember the dude he got the idea from, it was a dev who automated his entire job including the office coffee maker. The code for its on github and Im not feeling brave enough to go to my github account, even just to go thru followed repos.

But again, what is the point of smart IoT appliances?, the average person is not going to need to have their stuff automated.
I was not here.
Wait until the ai starts hacking these smart devices…

wait.. I saw that movie in the 80’s. "Maximum overdrive" I think was the name.
I have a smart toothbrush...but only because of the person holding it.

:D

I'm pretty unhackable.