deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
HORIZON – A LOVE STORY (I write one page stories)
HORIZON – A LOVE STORY

Have you ever looked out, over a landscape or body of water, losing yourself in the horizon?  Does it draw you to it like a gateway to a magical realm?  Perhaps it is the thoughts and feelings of other lost souls calling you to join them.

He stood there, on the shore, just on the rise of the sand where the waves of the ocean reached up, but didn’t yet touch at this time of day.

He wore rumpled cargo shorts, and a plaid shirt, only partially buttoned, letting the lower part of his shirt flap in the breeze.  He was well built and tan.  His hair was brownish, but streaked by the sun – telling tales that he came out here often.

His gaze is transfixed on that far-away place at the edge of the world, where dreams meet lost dreams, along with dreams that could have been, but never became. 

Is it coincidence that two damaged souls stand on the same shore, at the same time, a short distance apart, both gazing out at the same horizon? 

She stood back a ways, very much aware of his manly presence, yet lost in her own thoughts of a life, well planned -- gone astray.  She wonders if his and her thoughts, feelings, and pain will find each other, out there – out there, in the magic.  She believes in the magic.

Does he feel it?  Does he sense it?  So many have stood, as he stands now, letting their emotions of love, fear, disappointment, and loneliness drift over time and space to the far off horizon.

They that came, before, experienced the magic in their time by its enchantment.  Now it’s our time, we must recognize it, embrace it, learn from it, use it in moving forward - - to keep the magic alive. 

I shift my gaze from the horizon to where he stands.  My fear of rejection attempts to climb its way to the surface, but the magic is stronger.  I take a step forward in his direction.  I still feel hesitant, but I keep going.

I pick up a shell from the sand.  As I am a writer, I always carry writing material with me.  I take out a sharpie.  I write my name and phone number on the shell.

I’m now standing beside him, both of us focused on the horizon.

I say to him: “Do you think they’re out there, our thoughts, our desires, our pain?  Do you think they find each other in the magic of the horizon? 

He turns, looks soulfully into my eyes, as I intently meet his. 

I reach down taking hold of his hand, placing the shell into it.

Looking back into his eyes I say: “Believe in the magic”.

Then I turn and walk away, believing with all my heart, the magic will follow.
oh my that's beautiful.

It really speaks to me.
(11-19-2023, 11:22 PM)FurPerson Wrote: oh my that's beautiful.

It really speaks to me.
Thank you.  I have been very hesitant in posting any of my stories -- anywhere.

I took the plunge in honor of the new site. ANNEE
I tried to give this 5 stars but I rated it on mobile and I think I broke it hitting the wrong star and trying to re-rate it.

Great story in any case.
[Image: xn661c5393.jpg]
Undecided voter
(11-19-2023, 11:34 PM)IdeomotorPrisoner Wrote: I tried to give this 5 stars but I rated it on mobile and I think I broke it hitting the wrong star and trying to re-rate it.

Great story  in any case.

Thank you.  Your appreciation is worth more than the stars. ANNEE
(11-19-2023, 11:17 PM)ANNEE Wrote: HORIZON – A LOVE STORY

Have you ever looked out, over a landscape or body of water, losing yourself in the horizon?  Does it draw you to it like a gateway to a magical realm?  Perhaps it is the thoughts and feelings of other lost souls calling you to join them.

He stood there, on the shore, just on the rise of the sand where the waves of the ocean reached up, but didn’t yet touch at this time of day.

He wore rumpled cargo shorts, and a plaid shirt, only partially buttoned, letting the lower part of his shirt flap in the breeze.  He was well built and tan.  His hair was brownish, but streaked by the sun – telling tales that he came out here often.

His gaze is transfixed on that far-away place at the edge of the world, where dreams meet lost dreams, along with dreams that could have been, but never became. 

Is it coincidence that two damaged souls stand on the same shore, at the same time, a short distance apart, both gazing out at the same horizon? 

She stood back a ways, very much aware of his manly presence, yet lost in her own thoughts of a life, well planned -- gone astray.  She wonders if his and her thoughts, feelings, and pain will find each other, out there – out there, in the magic.  She believes in the magic.

Does he feel it?  Does he sense it?  So many have stood, as he stands now, letting their emotions of love, fear, disappointment, and loneliness drift over time and space to the far off horizon.

They that came, before, experienced the magic in their time by its enchantment.  Now it’s our time, we must recognize it, embrace it, learn from it, use it in moving forward - - to keep the magic alive. 

I shift my gaze from the horizon to where he stands.  My fear of rejection attempts to climb its way to the surface, but the magic is stronger.  I take a step forward in his direction.  I still feel hesitant, but I keep going.

I pick up a shell from the sand.  As I am a writer, I always carry writing material with me.  I take out a sharpie.  I write my name and phone number on the shell.

I say to him: “Do you think they’re out there, our thoughts, our desires, our pain?  Do you think they find each other in the magic of the horizon? 

This is amazing Annie!
(11-20-2023, 02:01 AM)Quantum12 Wrote:

This is amazing Annie!

Thank you.  I will try to be brave enough to post another soon/someday.  This is only the second one I've ever shared online.
(11-20-2023, 12:49 PM)ANNEE Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 02:01 AM)Quantum12 Wrote:

This is amazing Annie!

Thank you.  I will try to be brave enough to post another soon/someday.  This is only the second one I've ever shared online.
It’s really good!!!!!
That was great. If I knew how to give stars or flags or similar here, that would definitely have earned them!
(11-23-2023, 06:21 PM)sprocketuk Wrote: That was great. If I knew how to give stars or flags or similar here, that would definitely have earned them!

Thank you.  Your sentiment is just as good as any stars  Biggrin