deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Godzilla Minus One
I saw this movie last Saturday with my wife and sons.  

Holy Moses this was a great flick! There are so many reasons to like it. 

***This is in Japanese so you will be reading subtitles, but it did not
distract me one bit. 

The film actually makes you give a damn what happens to the characters. Unlike so 
much of the trash movies and TV shows that were released this year.

The actors and actresses are top notch and the post WW2 Japan setting is wonderful and realistic. 
There are actual relatable character emotions and REASONS for the these emotions presented 
in this film proficiently by the script writers. What a refreshing surprise! 

And then you have the 500 ton lizard in the room. Godzilla. 

Godzilla is truly scary in this instalment. He is no one's friend and just doesn't give
a fuck about you or your family. He is pure destruction created by atomic weapons
experimentation. This harkens back to the original 1954 movie concept and it is 
that original concept amplified like they could never have done it back then. Godzilla
represents the hazards of nuclear war and what happened to Japan. That is how I see it
anyway. 

The movie was released in limited theaters in the United States as it is a foreign movie but has since expanded to more theaters due to it's success but I read somewhere that due to some legal restrictions it may be forced out of American cinemas on Jan 1st. Not sure if that is true. 

I also read that they will be releasing a black and white version in Japan in the future (I suppose
to honor the original film). Not sure if this will come to American movie houses.

All in all if I gave this film a rating I would give it a 10 out of 10. And that is something I 
almost never do. I asked the people I saw it with and they agreed as well. Wow. 

And this movie only cost around 15 mil to make while other garbage costs 300 mil. Go figure. 

For me, best movie of 2023 hands down. 

Would love to hear your thoughts and highly recommend this film. 

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
I haven't caught this movie yet but I'm really looking forward to it. Been a (Japanese) Godzilla fan since a child.
[Video: https://youtu.be/TWxAfXnr_t0?si=DZrQHbOS-pXeZi_s]

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper