deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fun With Nostradamus
For this thread I will demonstrating the you can apply a Nostradamus prophecy as broadly as a horoscope.

Regardless of why he truly wrote them. Whether inquisition commentary or not, a prophet he is not. Makes me want to stare at bowl of water and fake channel a bunch of vague bullshit too.

So I picked some of the most used ones, and a few others, to tear apart. 

Quote:From the depths of the West of Europe, a young child will be born of poor people, he who by his tongue will seduce a great troop; his fame will increase towards the realm of the East.

Oh my God it's totally Hister, I mean Hitler!  I feel calling Eastern Austria Western Europe is like calling Memphis Western US.

And tons of silver tongue leaders were born poor. It's part of the whole will to power thing that propels them.  But Mussolini fits this WAY better.

And pretty much an leader born poor, West of Fucking, Austria (actual former City name, also testing T/C and censors) could be proclaimed this seducer.

Quote:The sudden death of the leading man will cause change, making another man leader. Soon, but too late, the young man will attain high office. By land and sea, he will be feared.

There are literally two examples from the USA in a span of 20 years.  Not to mention all the other times a war leader died.

But Both Truman and Johnson fit this quatrain. Truman maybe a bit more than Johnson.

Obviously nostradamus couldn't envision The Enola Gay either. I guess his bowl of water never saw air combat.

Maybe a little...

Quote:The scourges passed the world shrinks,
For a long time peace and populated lands:
One will travel safely by air, land, sea and wave,
Then the wars stirred up anew.

What is wave travel and how is that different than sea? 

Still, when can you not apply this, assuming it is learned what the hell wave travel is. Are we teleporting, and why didn't we write it down if you saw a fantastic new way of travel, Mr. Nostradamus?

Quote:They will think they have seen the Sun at night
When they will see the pig half-man:
Noise, song, battle, fighting in the sky perceived,
And one will hear brute beasts talking.

Manbearpig? Is it actually a prophecy.

This one must have been one of the more absinthe induced ones because the hell is he on about?

Obviously, he foresaw Operation Bluebeam!

I want to try to apply this but obviously dude was tripping.

Quote:At forty-five degrees, the sky will burn. Fire to approach the great new city; in an instant, a great scattered flame will leap up, when one will want to get evidence from the Normans.

Oh noes! 9/11 happened in Central France, where the goddamn Normans actually were.

The Great new city is Paris in Mr. Prophet's mind, which is actually at 45° latitude. It was a middle age destination city. A real hub for immigrants. It exploded in his time.

But no, he saw towers burning in New York...

Perhaps is was ANY of the middle aged European city within a degree of 45 that had a fire once.

The Great fire of...  And literally insert almost ANY middle aged or older European city. Presto Inferno.

Much better than New York at 41° latitude.
[Image: xn661c5393.jpg]
Undecided voter
lol

you're the best
Thank you..

I figure it can tersely deny ignorance too...

As a side bet, I really do want to know what the T/C's are. I have determined there isn't censoring, but am also for moderate and tactful use of swear words...

Which would just be great if it was more towards the permissive side.
Undecided voter
Great topic. I want more ;)
(11-20-2023, 12:13 AM)DontTreadOnMe Wrote: Great topic.  I want more ;)
I get that by the deliberate return to the old school forum style, this site is geared more towards the apolitical, which is great. So, in the spirit of returning to a time before culture was taken over by The New York Post...
Undecided voter
I don't believe in prophecy. Yet when I look around me I see that I'm surrounded by people that do. That is, for the most part Christians and Muslims. Not all of course but Many Christians do believe in bible prophecy and the Muslims have their prophet. I regard myself as pretty average and see better educated and more intelligent people believing that stuff. It does make me wonder, not that I think I'm wrong but just find it strange.
(11-20-2023, 11:23 AM)midicon Wrote:
I don't believe in prophecy. Yet when I look around me I see that I'm surrounded by people that do. That is, for the most part Christians and Muslims. Not all of course but Many Christians do believe in bible prophecy and the Muslims have their prophet. I regard myself as pretty average and see better educated and more intelligent people believing that stuff. It does make me wonder, not that I think I'm wrong but just find it strange.

I really don't either. 

I wonder why no interpretation of prophecy ever gets put in the prophets time. It's always kept in a state of perpetual relevance. Nostradamus was to the Rome like Revelations was to Rome. 

All prophecy finds much more applicability in its current time.

Like if I were to have a revelation, I'd lens it through my bias.

Here's my totally legit divine vision.

From the east they invade the land of wheat and barley. 
The mighty Caesar flexes his worldly influence as the house to the south Is made an ally.
The world military orders are entwined by proxy.
As minimal spoils come to the land of the colorful onion buildings. 
Undecided voter
That's a neat vision about our time and colorfully biased!

I've heard it said that a prophet can never be recognised in his home country or land. I wonder why that is too. Perhaps because the people know him. It could be for another reason though, I can't say.
(11-19-2023, 10:52 PM)IdeomotorPrisoner Wrote: Oh my God it's totally Hister, I mean Hitler!  I feel calling Eastern Austria Western Europe is like calling Memphis Western US.

People that say that text points to Austria use the expression "realm of the East" as meaning "Austria", because Austria's original name means "eastern realm".
I agree that saying that Austria is in the "depths of the West of Europe" is a stretch, but mostly, when I look at that translation, what I read is:
A child will be born in the West of Europe (why not Portugal?) and he will get a great following that will reach from the "West of Europe" to Austria.

Nostradamus may have been right in his predictions, but assuming we know what he meant is too much.
I think it would be interesting to see what chat GPT can make of some of these quatrains.