Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Don't forget to be afraid..." FBI given time to preach
I wanted to place this in the less contentious "Current Events" forum, I really did.  But this piece of reporting just reeks of "message" and I hate it.  I hate it because there is news value in the story, but they turned it into a propaganda piece.  It's the kind of piece that forces associations, and obfuscates reality.  We really need to stop doing that.

From Fox News:  Chinese hackers preparing to ‘physically wreak havoc’ on US critical infrastructure: FBI director  
Subtitled: FBI Director Christopher Wray said that the hackers want to 'induce panic'

I will begin by dosing the story with something to remember... What the "hackers" want is to be paid.  In the media, "Panic" is a social engineering term.  And finally... we must never stop living in fear (according to the 'voices' in government.)

Chinese hackers are developing the "ability to physically wreak havoc on our critical infrastructure at a time of its choosing," FBI director Christopher Wray said this week.

He added that the hackers are waiting "for just the right moment to deal a devastating blow."

Notice, if I may, that the Director does not point out that "Forewarned is forearmed" thereby instilling confidence in our vigilance and preparation.  Nor does he mention that the "vulnerabilities" of which he seems to be aware for some magical reason "can't be fixed."  Nor will he acknowledge that the hackers in question are 'contracted' entities that might just serve the paycheck and not the ideology of the signers of the paycheck.

Instead, he says...

"Its plan is to land low blows against civilian infrastructure to try to induce panic," Wray said Thursday at the 2024 Vanderbilt Summit on Modern Conflict and Emerging Threats.
"There has been far too little public focus on the fact that PRC [People’s Republic of China] hackers are targeting our critical infrastructure – our water treatment plants, our electrical grid, our oil and natural gas pipelines, our transportation systems. And the risk that poses to every American requires our attention now," Wray told lawmakers at the time. 

It's most definitely NOT the "public" who needs to know and act on this.... it's the people he works with everyday, you know, the ones who get paid to protect systems, remedy deficiencies, and generally be prepared.  But no, he is not functioning as one of them, instead he is evoking fear and stress over "The last Red Menace" China.  (This is not to say that there aren't those who DO want to "hurt the bad Americans" ... and even some who will pay other to do it...  But this thespian crap from our government has to stop.)

Wray also said that "today, and literally every day" Chinese hackers are "actively attacking our economic security, engaging in wholesale theft of our innovation, and our personal and corporate data." 

"And they don’t just hit our security and economy. They target our freedoms, reaching inside our borders, across America, to silence, coerce, and threaten our citizens and residents," Wray testified.  

This is text-book.  Be afraid... now wait for it... "give us money" will be the next message.

Just as an add-on to the above tail.. here comes the flip side:

From HITBSecNews: China urges U.S. to immediately stop cyberattacks against China

China urges the United States to immediately stop its cyberattacks against China and stop smearing China, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Monday.
Lin made the remarks at a daily press briefing when asked to comment on the report and repeated U.S. accusations that the Chinese government supported Volt Typhoon's cyberattacks. "According to the report, 'Volt Typhoon' is actually a ransomware cybercriminal group that calls itself the 'Dark Power' and is not sponsored by any state or region," said Lin.

"Ransomware cybercriminal group"... "Dark Power" ... yeah thanks... that clears things up, doesn't it?  It seems like we're not gonna get answers anywhere...  

Or at least certainly not from any 'spokesperson' from either camp.
I used to believe the FBI and admire them.  But in the past 20 years or so it has become clear that they have politicalized and weaponized.  I do not believe anything they say.  That being said ... I do believe China is a threat on all fronts.  I think that is rather obvious.  And our politicians are enabling China to destroy the country from the inside.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
I think it is unwise to characterize people in a huge organization, solely by the actions and words of their "appointed" leadership.

The FBI is full of good and thoughtful citizens who want the best for the country... but ever since the politicians became "empowered' to choose to "employ" people of their own ilk there (loyal "party/financial" members,) they have been subjected to people with leadership agendas that disregard and or sometime contradict that very "good for the country" in exchange for what's "good" for their sponsors and friends and political allegiances ... exactly like politicians themselves.

It's little wonder that they started acting out in thespian fashion.  Their bosses are the political thespian elite, who openly value "appearances" over truth.
I think you’re right, MaxMars.