deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Making friends with the crows
This interests me greatly also, and it makes it kind of sad that Leftiris has started this conversation and not stuck around to see it through.  

The remainder of the dialogue is on us.

I would have like to have known whether the 'tools' offered were taken, and which one's.

... And of course, I would have liked to discuss the words "murder of crows"... it seems such an odd choice for a collective designation.
(05-11-2024, 01:01 PM)Maxmars Wrote: This interests me greatly also, and it makes it kind of sad that Leftiris has started this conversation and not stuck around to see it through.  

The remainder of the dialogue is on us.

I would have like to have known whether the 'tools' offered were taken, and which one's.

... And of course, I would have liked to discuss the words "murder of crows"... it seems such an odd choice for a collective designation.

Great thread.

I always heard that a pack of crows was referred to as a "murder" or "murder of crows."
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict...r-of-crows

It's an old saying, I'm guessing. That's how I learned it though.

The tools were a great idea. They can use the screw to crack open stuff.
(05-12-2024, 02:26 AM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: Great thread.

I always heard that a pack of crows was referred to as a "murder" or "murder of crows."
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict...r-of-crows

It's an old saying, I'm guessing. That's how I learned it though.

The tools were a great idea. They can use the screw to crack open stuff.

... and from a crows perspective, nuts and screws are shiny... I can imagine that always has some appeal!

I was considering laying out some of those bamboo skewers (I always have a bunch left over when I buy them) - not sure if they'll be interested... but I'll try next time I buy a package.  I figure toothpicks are too short.
(05-11-2024, 01:01 PM)Maxmars Wrote: ... And of course, I would have liked to discuss the words "murder of crows"... it seems such an odd choice for a collective designation.

To me it 'feels' kind of fitting since it's crows. I have vague recollection of these appearing numerous times in movies/television throughout the decades whenever something sinister is/has taken place - such as "murder" of course. The Omen trilogy with its malevolent storyline comes to mind.

A couple years back when the crows had gathered across the street here my neighbor even made a comment that "somebody was up to no good", and I did feel just a slight tinge of guilt for having indulged in so much occult content even though it wasn't anything "sinister" and mostly along the lines of the philosophical/metaphysical.

I'm sure my recollection is mixed with Ravens as well where a group of those is referred as an "unkindness or conspiracy". Ravens are larger and I would assume that they are more solitary than crows or at least travel in smaller groups.

I would guess the associations might be largely due their all dark/black plumage but from what I understand they are very intelligent and can be quite cordial.

Some also say the origin of the "murder" terminology comes from their scavenging nature, but I don't really think of them as scavengers.
If I remember correctly crows are said to carry the souls of the dead to the afterlife or hades. The movie "The Crow" comes to mind.

But, if memory serves me I think I've heard the same thing about ravens.

That's why they're always seen around the dead in movies. They take the souls and carry them away, as legend/lore goes.
I love this 
I agree how organised and Intelligent Crows are.
I have witneesed a crow trial before was spectacular.
It was sort of sad to see, but thats their way and i kept out of it.

Cheers
Rigel4
[Image: VYRH3Th.png]