deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Calling a fake alien doll a "hoax"
This is a somewhat 'sad' tale.

It goes more or less like this.

Someone, somewhere in Peru, crafted a couple of tiny skeletons out of small animal bones... then crafted two tiny people... including tiny clothes.  They were packaged up... and mailed to somewhere, in Mexico.  They looked like tiny three-fingered "aliens."

Postal examiners/customs agents discovered the contents of the package...

Peruvian press strikes like the found gold.  Public furor is aroused by exclamations in the press.  People naturally engaged... investigations were carried out... the thruth was revealed.

But never was anyone told whether the little alien dolls were meant to be foisted off as 'real.'  The press did present that idea as someone's "assertion" ... but it is unclear who, when, or how that knowledge came to them at all.  Or even if this was a tongue-in-cheek novelty made by some craftsman of the region, then sold to someone in Mexico.

Back in January of this year, the reported the truth about the dolls... couched in a sentiment of "hoax."  But who hoaxed whom?

I ran across this article which embeds the whole hoax angle... just as we have seen many, if not most, of todays' journalists are most inclined to do.

From Ancient Origins: Colombia Joins Mexico Publishing “Tiny-Alien” Nonsense

Only two months after scientists in Peru revealed the public had been hoaxed into believing two “dolls” were in fact alien corpses, headlines are now touting more alien-nonsense. This time, a fetus with an elongated skull found in Colombia is being associated with little green-men and ancient races. But skeptical scientists are demonstrating how the skeleton is a premature human-fetus.

It appears to me that the story is fodder for virtue signaling.  That "somethings are just too good to be true, and therefore if you choose to be interested, shame on you.
I don't particularly have any beef with the author, he is merely expressing his opinion... but I have a distaste of the use of tropes as characterizations, it just feels cheap to me.  Now as two scientists proclaim they were 'hoaxed.'  And by proxy, the public as well.  Would I be wrong to infer that some narrative is being expressed in the news, steeped in social engineering?

Within the heading of Hiding Facts Until The End Is So 2000s! the author props up another meme... Despite the fact that any good article may have facts peppered throughout, beginning, middle, end... the one's I was interested in were at the end... poor me.)

The primary reason so many people fall for such ridiculous headlines, about aliens, is because some of the biggest media outlets in the world publish hyper-dramatic articles presenting tightly-woven logical fallacies. For some, the media holding back of facts until the ends of articles sets them off telling other folk that aliens have finally been found, especially when so many people these days only read headlines, and move on to the next.

Oh yes, everyone is a poor information consumer (file that under, "audiences are stupid.")  Kudos for pointing out that with the global "news" culture we see today, this waste of journalistic energy is "normal."  Every publication that exists for its own sake does it... often and expansively. Todays' "See me!" news is about "entertainment," to most publishers it seems news is first and foremost a "product."  Garbage in, garbage out... stop blaming the consumers.

Further...

The Daily Mail wrote, in bold, that “a potentially extraterrestrial fetus with signs of an umbilical cord” has been discovered in Colombia. Then, not in bold, they write “according to Josep Guijarro, a veteran public radio reporter, it could be alien or a tiny humanoid from an ancient unidentified species.”

The point being the shame belongs to the publisher, not the public.

Anyway, some cool pics... 
(and a YouTube video at the source link)
For example:
[Image: tiny-Alien-Hoax-Colombia.jpg]