deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things You Still Eat That You Loved As a Kid
I'm sure many people have favorite foods from childhood and I'm no exception. There are simple things in life and sometimes it's our tummies that let us know. Some things from childhood we just can't forget and can't stop eating as we consume our way through life with that inkling of comfort from way back with the foods we still enjoy.

Recently, I'm SO into Fish Finger toasted sandwiches again, I Love 'em! Olive oil fried fish fingers in breadcrumb batter, lightly toasted soft square wholegrain bread and homemade Tartare Sauce (lemon juice, chopped Pickle and Mayo). Crunchy, reasonably healthy  and a nice tangy sauce dribbling all over my hands. There is always a grin on my face as I lick the plate.

Second up is good old Sphagetti Bolognaise. My Grandma would make it and we'd dress for dinner and have a glass of wine that my Grandpa would carefully select, open, let breathe and then serve like a waiter as he told us about it. That was cool as a kid, sitting at a proper dining table with candelabras, napkins and silverware. The one thing I would always do is ask for a second helping. I may be a slim little thing, but boy I could eat like a horse and still do given the chance. They lived on a farm and I was always off exploring so had a ferocious appetite come dinner times. Sphagetti Bolognaise is still a favorite and I still have second helpings. Especially good when it's my own veggies added to the pot. I have never made a bad one and even my Mother has asked for a second helping....wow!

Third up is just about anything edible in a savoury pastry. I used to be obsessed with Cornish Pasties to the point where people would give them to me for Christmas. Yay! Pies, Pasties, Cheese and Marmite tarts (omg), Quiche etc etc. The super-special though has to be "Boeuf En Croute", it's the poshest thing possible with pastry and I also love beef.

Fourth up is "Campbells" vegetable soup. It's just a good old favorite and....de-lish-ous! It has little pasta letters in it so I pick them out to make words...lol. I buy a tin now and then in the winter time for those cold nights by the fire and I cook it on my woodburner. Timeless in a tin.

Last up is Peanut Butter and Pickled Beetroot sandwiches. Me thinks they just go so well together. Many memories of picnics, school trips, fishing and camping. Something I now usually have as a snack in Summertime when I work hard in the garden and can't be bothered to cook. I love beetroot because it stains everything. Messy eating is always fun.

Yummy Yummy, What's In Your Tummy? Biggrin

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
Quick list:
Mac and cheese
Ramen
PB&J
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken nuggets
Solid ham and cheese sando

More?

My work and social circle have me eating at places that have “upscale” menus. My wife thinks it’s hilarious because she knows I’m a very simple eater - my young son and I can eat the same stuff and both be perfectly happy.

Depending on the engagement, I’ll go have dinner and then stop for some Subway on the way home.

Simple taste but it’s what I like. And liked when I was a child. #Manchild.
Oh man, this is harder than I thought!  

I started to think "Sure, I got lot's of old favorites..." and then it hit me... 

When I was a kid I was anything but an 'eater' ... I just never felt really hungry ... So I was always on the receiving end of the old "You should have more!" and "Don't be shy, have seconds!" ... Granted, I was thin as a rail... (only now I'm pleasantly pudgy... it only took four or five decades.)

Always a "winner dish" in my early days were...

Hot Dogs (real skin casing) mustard, sauerkraut, sweet relish - street vendor dogs stewing in week old hot dog water particularly
Ham and Swiss Cheese sandwich - mayo only
Sweet fried (ripe) plantains (yes yes yes) ... alternately "tostones" 'green' fried plantains - garlicy salty goodness
White rice, red beans... the staple of the gods
Medium Rare Flank steak... just heaven to me.
Candy most any kind - it was my brain food.
Campbells Chicken Noodle soup - the food that cured all malaise... and sniffles
"Pasteles" a huge meat dumpling made with plantain and pork 'stew' (and one olive for good measure)
Roast pork with the skin (cracklins a.k.a. 'Chicharrones') greasy and good.
Bagels - (kept me alive at university)
Pancakes - ditto

These were a few of my favorite things...
(05-12-2024, 12:04 AM)Maxmars Wrote: Campbells Chicken Noodle soup - the food that cured all malaise... and sniffles
"Pasteles" a huge meat dumpling made with plantain and pork 'stew' (and one olive for good measure)
Roast pork with the skin (cracklins a.k.a. 'Chicharrones') greasy and good.

Mmmmmm! those right there sound tasty and the soup is also a winner in my book. Perhaps second favorite to the Vegetable soup I mentioned.

I was the same about considering some of the things I used to enjoy but once the taste buds kicked in the memories did too. I had just had fish finger sandwiches when I thought about my childhood eating and decided to start the thread.

My choice in food depends on my mood and changes often but....
I still love some proper Cornish Pasties, it's heaven in pastry.
One of my all time favorites as a kid had to be Toad-in-the-Hole.
[Video: https://youtu.be/zsIbAhUOV9k?si=NBrUv7p6bPPefaq8]

"Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning." 
Charles Tremper
(05-12-2024, 08:33 AM)Kurokage Wrote: My choice in food depends on my mood and changes often but....
I still love some proper Cornish Pasties, it's heaven in pastry.
One of my all time favorites as a kid had to be Toad-in-the-Hole.
[Video: https://youtu.be/zsIbAhUOV9k?si=NBrUv7p6bPPefaq8]

Oh MAN!!! You reminded me of another treat I used to enjoy.

I have sausages and was going to do a fry-up, but tonight it's Toad In The Hole.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

mmmmmmmmm

Favorite childhood foods.

Grandma's chicken soup
Christmas lasagna
Zweigles white hots
Real custard
Bill Greys (burger place)

Most are lost early childhood things. But people move and sometimes lose their favorites to the opposite side of the country. Or move from the family that makes your "dingamagoo"

More specific than just PB&J, but those stick out as the time I was happiest to eat.
[Image: xn661c5393.jpg]
Undecided voter
Toad in the Hole here as well.  Also fish fingers but I prefer the haddock ones.

Every Saturday we would have home-made trifle.  Tinned fruit and trifle sponges in the jelly.  Thick home-made custard.  Whipped double cream and for topping a crumbled up flake or two.

One thing I have never managed to replicate are my grandmothers chips (fries).  She deep fried them in dripping.  She would also drain the oil off cooked meat and add it to the chip pan.  Absolute heaven! I have fond memories of the chip pan being a solid block of fat with the sieve stuck in it.  I believe this is still a thing in Scotland.
... an upbeat cynic
I can no longer eat the foods that I want to eat.  
I developed a problem with gluten 13 years ago.
Haven't had anything with wheat in that long and I miss it.

What I miss a lot ....

Red string licorice.  Yeah, it's got gluten.
Spaghetti.  My all time favorite food.
Fresh baked bread dipped in olive oil and cracked pepper.
Pancakes.
A Rueben ... with tons of sauerkraut.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
Fishfingers beans and mash.
Breaded plaice, chips and peas.
Faggots mash and peas
Haggis sandwiches
Vesta chow mein
Beef curry and white rice :)

Thats my childhood comfort food I still have occasionally