Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Analysis and execution (a multipart tale)
"Slobin Threshwater... what the heck kind of name is that?"  He said, looking over the sheet of paper in his hand.  Tim had never done this before and was uncertain how important this detail was.

"It's yours, ... be grateful I didn't choose something like Haxxen Paxxen" she said, frowning at him.  Tabby was new to "introducing" people to role-playing games and hadn't foreseen the eventuality of people being resistant to the framework.

"Why can't I just use my own name?" Tim asked.

"Because your name sucks!"  Joshua interjected to a smattering of chuckles... even Tim chuckled at that.

Tabby proceeded, "Look Tim..., the entire point of this is for you to experience 'being someone else' within the context of a story that is entirely not in your control... it's called "roleplaying", and it can be a lot of fun... with the right story." She became concerned that she couldn't actually pull this off with a newcomer. 

"And the right storyteller," added Joshua.

Joshua then said, "Think of it as acting or pretending."  He quickly added, "Haxxen Paxxen?  What is that? ... Dutch, Swedish maybe?" he then quickly added using an over-the-top pronunciation, "Haxxen Paxxen!" with a strong affectation of an American mimicking a Northern European accent.

Gable, who almost never spoke in the 'set-up' stages of a 'session' said, "I think I've heard 'Haxxen Paxxen' before... but I can't place it... maybe it's mythological?"

"Enough." Tabby said, eager to get to the actual gaming part of the exercise.  "Now Tim, understand that you don't have to call yourself by that name... as in real life you could make something else of it... like how I'm Tabitha, but I encourage people to call me Tabby, or how Gable is actually a nickname for Gabriel." 

Joshua said, "Yeah, we can just call you "Slob."   Tim flashed the "I am not amused" face back at him, while Gable and Jules chortled.

Tabby defused the exchange... "How about we just refer to you as "Bin?" Which she hoped ended the faux contention.

Jules, ever the diplomat, segued into "A rose is a rose by any other name;" ...  "What matters is that you will decide what Bin does during the story."

"Within reason." said Tabby. Simultaneously, Josh and Jules both gestured to towards Tabby, as Josh said, "Meet reason."

Tim tried to hide hesitancy, (or so he thought.)  He had been acquainted with roleplaying in the real world, where many chose to characterize it as a relatively "childish" exercise, enjoined mostly by prepubescent basement dwellers, or insane young adults - an escapist activity much like comic books and binge drinking. Nerd stuff.

He had been quite surprised to learn that most of the people in the analysis group indulged in roleplaying together, sometimes multiple times a week.  He was interested in understanding why. 

The thing that sparked his interest was an exchange he witnessed between Tabitha and Logan.  He could have sworn that Logan was angry with Tabitha.  Tim observed that Logan was brooding over something, and speculated it was a personal friction between him and Tabby.  Tim hadn't heard many words exchanged, only sensed Logan's unease.  But he soon realized that the apparent friction was entirely theoretical... "You were not in character, and when that happens, I will always impose consequences..." Tabby had said.  "How so?" Logan asked.  "How so what? Being out of character, or consequences?" Tabby responded.  The remainder of the conversation was lost to Tim, he did not want to engage in unwelcome eavesdropping.  He later learned that Tabby and Logan would have jumped at the chance to explain the matter to him.

During a brief casual encounter at work, he had spoken of roleplaying with Gabriel, a relatively senior supervisor within the group.  Gabriel had explained that many years ago, several intelligence agencies had "discovered" that roleplaying could be an extremely valuable exercise for the analytically inclined.  That it could be used for military planning, as well as legal analysis... it was a valuable tool, as well as an effective way to enhance teamwork and security functionality.  Gabe said that once he began to explore it, he came to appreciate all the ways it was useful, even including on-the-job relationship development.  And he discovered that he enjoyed it personally.  Gabriel said, "I learned that the multiplication of minds leads to greater outcomes... with the added benefit of great fun... better than movies or TV, and often even better than books."  He, alone among his peers, embraced the exercise.

So here is Tim, learning to 'roleplay' and realizing that it was not, by any means a simple escape, nor a trivial undertaking.  He learned that a significant investment of research was required.  He soon understood that there was a subtle art at play here.

How this encounter arose, was a surprising development to Tim.  While the group was pondering the particulars of an analysis problem, so many instances of the group members referring to a fictional encounter to flesh out the discussion occurred that Tim found himself nearly jealous that he was 'missing' something that was informing the session.  But the result of the discussion was a novel approach to the analysis... and one which proved to be not only effective, but impressive to the leadership.  Apparently, this group had achieved this success before, so well, and so many times, that they had established a reputation for unravelling mysteries that others seemed incapable of doing.  Tim decided he wanted in.

[stay tuned for part 2]
I’m intrigued by this first part of your story, Maxmars. Entering an ongoing conversation is a great way to begin a story… once the reader is involved, you can’t help but continue reading.

Role playing used for professional ends is something I had experienced back in my teens. At sixteen years of age I worked in a supermarket, was rapidly promoted and eventually given the opportunity to enter a managerial training program. On induction day, they put all the trainees in a large room, divided us into groups and gave us specific roles to play and a series of problems to solve. At the time I was too young to know what that was about, but later figured out that we were being observed. They were trying to figure out who would take command, who cooperated and followed the leader, who caused friction in the group, etc..; more importantly, they were looking for those who deviated from their given role if the task was not progressing. In short, they then assigned us to different supermarket branches based on their appraisal of where we would be best suited.

So, I appreciate you exploring this subject, but I also feel the story is going to be enthralling; there are many deep relationships between your characters that leaves me curious to see how they will develop.

Hungry for the continuation…
(02-20-2024, 06:25 AM)Encia22 Wrote: I’m intrigued by this first part of your story, Maxmars. Entering an ongoing conversation is a great way to begin a story… once the reader is involved, you can’t help but continue reading.

Role playing used for professional ends is something I had experienced back in my teens. At sixteen years of age I worked in a supermarket, was rapidly promoted and eventually given the opportunity to enter a managerial training program. On induction day, they put all the trainees in a large room, divided us into groups and gave us specific roles to play and a series of problems to solve. At the time I was too young to know what that was about, but later figured out that we were being observed. They were trying to figure out who would take command, who cooperated and followed the leader, who caused friction in the group, etc..; more importantly, they were looking for those who deviated from their given role if the task was not progressing. In short, they then assigned us to different supermarket branches based on their appraisal of where we would be best suited.

So, I appreciate you exploring this subject, but I also feel the story is going to be enthralling; there are many deep relationships between your characters that leaves me curious to see how they will develop.

Hungry for the continuation…

E

Thank you for the encouragement.  Not being a professional writer, I have to admit these stories sometimes (no, scratch that,) "often" have a strong tendency to "write themselves"... effectively leaving me scratching my head as to how it will unfold.  Not so much in the thrust of the story, but it's minutiae... mostly manifesting in the 'relationships' department.  It is difficult for me because sometimes the nature of the relationships makes the telling of a story quite tricky, especially if the story embraces the totality of the group.  Weirdly, I don't set characters up to be 'fixed' as I imagine the tale... they can manifest villainy or heroics, happiness, or distance, or anything in between in each reveal - afterwards leaving me with the responsibility of making sense of it all.  Perhaps it's a writing 'psychosis' of some kind...  Tongue

The part 2 will follow in a few days...

... but here in the "web"-world, I can judge (dis)interest and avoid fretting over something that no one will read anyway... it's a shame about all I "lost" in that other place where I used to post... I'll never forgive them.
Analysis and execution (a multipart tale) - Part 2

Tim rolled into work the next day.  Tired, thinking about the night before, his pace slowed, he didn't intend to "keep up" with the crowd.  Dozens of people moving down the hallway, each going to their respective departments, some in groups, others alone.  They were moving briskly, as is common at 5 minutes before the start of the business day.  But he was never one to fret over the difference between '10 minutes til' and '5 minutes til'... early is early.

He pushed open the door and it bounced off someone's heel, stopping him.  "Oops, sorry!" he offered, and heard an immediate response of "No, excuse me."  It was Jules.  "I should know better than to stand there," he said, gathering up something he dropped... a zip-lock plastic bag with some papers in it.  Something evidentiary.  

"I was just reading this..." Jules began, "it's excruciating not being able to see the other pages."

"You open that, and I'll break your fingers," Logan called from his desk in the corner.  He grabbed his key-card and started towards Jules.  

Gable walked into the area from his cubicle and said, "Logan, I would like you to join me for a moment."  Logan issued an almost inaudible groan, and said, "On my way."

Tabby stepped through the door and entered behind Tim, and stopped, looking at the baggie in Jules' hand.

Jules gestured to both of them silently and mouthed the words "Read this."

Tim held the bag, reading the first page through the clear plastic, holding it off to one side so Tabby could read it too.  

They could only read the first page, it was a clean, hand-written sheet with neat block print, apparently in pencil.  The crafter was gifted with immaculate handwriting, a practiced hand.  The sheet was uncrowded, the print evenly spaced and straightly aligned.

As they were both finishing reading the text, Logan emerged saying "I promise won't let that happen again, I'll remember my card before I go collect."  Gable said "OK," matter-of-factly, "We have to do things according to protocols."

Gable then turned and looked at Jules with a scowl. 

"Don't look at me... I was just curious..." to which Gable responded, "and you infected them with your 'curiosity?"  He emitted a heavy sigh, "Tabitha, Timothy, all materials are to be scanned and submitted to the lab before anything else.  No exceptions."  "Of course!" Tabby said, as Tim just stood there looking a bit embarrassed.

Logan snatched the bag and left the room... poker-faced.

That "letter" became the "topic of the day."

The front page of the "letter" read as follows:

My name is Arthur Morrow, I am in full possession of my faculties, and offer this confession freely, under no duress, and with reasonable understanding of its moral and legal ramifications.

The murder was premeditated.  

I alone, planned to go to her residence and kill her. I discussed this with no one.

I carried no weapon.  You will have discovered that I used something I found in her home to end her life.

At the time of this confession, I have no knowledge of exactly what transpired.  I only know that I may not be around afterwards to explain the actual act.  

I am fully aware that, because of the nature of my planned crime, I will be subject to, and rightly deserve the death penalty.  Anything less would be too merciful, and likely offensive to any I have incidentally victimized.  I can only assure any such victim or victims that they were never part of my motive, and I regret that anyone else might suffer because of this act of murder (whether it be family, or friend, or even empathetic bystander.)  The act I will now undertake is not a "message to the world" nor is it a "lesson."

I can explain, however, matters of motive, if only to facilitate my eventual prosecution.

Cassandra Dunner, is the name of the woman you will have discovered by now, that I have murdered.  We were never antagonists, neither of us is indebted to the other, nor have we ever inflicted injuries upon each other.  As far as I am aware, she does not have any animosity towards me, nor I towards her. Our acquaintance was casual and cordial.

But what she was set upon doing simply could not be allowed to happen.  How I came to learn of her intention was purely coincidental.  And I realized then that no one would stop her.

I will stop her.  She must be stopped.

Apparently, Gabriel made a visit to the lab and queried about the "see-through baggie" shortly thereafter...  Which actually means he bitched someone out about how official and classified documents are not to be stored in this manner... and used words like "This isn't some frat-boy FBI operation," and also "We're not congressional aides here." Gabe was heard saying "We use the correct document handling and that has to begin with how these things are bagged and transported." 

That afternoon featured two separate meetings to discuss the propriety of Gabriel browbeating someone not under his authority... Gabe missed lunch that day.  Probably not good for the team.  Logan secretly blamed himself.

Tim understood that this was something unusually sensitive.  He had only participated in three of the team's 'projects' so far; and he sensed everyone's anticipation about this unauthorized "preview."

[stay tuned for more]
It was a learning experience for Tim; he 'discovered' that Gabriel was something of a blunt force presence in the departments.  The discovery began when Gabriel wrangled Logan for an unpleasant duty...

The next morning, Gabriel gathered his team... "OK everyone, we have work to do," he continued, "First off, there is a serious problem with the "Morrow" letter." 

Logan groaned audibly, "I swear, this is punishment."  "I didn't bag it... I only...," 

Gabriel interrupted, "It's not that...," he added... This is more pressing."  Logan paused; his expression changed... "Oh." he said.

He handed a few pages to Logan, on his way to his seat.

"That is a list of people in the custody chain, and the lab techs, and the investigators..." He continued... "I don't envy your task, let me know if you need help.

"Wait, what?" Logan asked.

"We need to know who saw that letter, what they read of it, if they opened the bag, what they thought and felt about it.  I want it in a report, soon." Gabriel continued, looking at Logan.

"Uh, sure" Logan responded.

"Isn't this a bit much?" Tabby asked, "I mean, what's up?"  

Gabriel drew in a breath, "The letter is missing," he said... "and someone is suggesting internal investigation protocols be invoked."

Tim knew of "IIP" only from second-hand experience.

During IIPs everyone got real interested.  The only time this had to happen is if there was a reasonable likelihood that whatever was happening, included some form of in-house shenanigans.  It could lead to discoveries of anything from incompetence or negligence to corruption, or even direct intervention by a hostile agency, the investigation required immediate, full cooperation, superseding all priorities until the IIP had been rescinded.

Occasionally, IIP was invoked when the possibility that "political" influence had interrupted the mission... which was always bad.  Embarrassing bad.  For decades, this agency's operations could be counted upon to be the most accurate and reliable.  It was an iron-clad presupposition that being engaged in these missions meant whatever any of their report says is both true and absolutely devoid of "narrative drifting."  

Many of Tim's collogues drilled into him that this was no joke, not posturing, and not to be taken lightly.  All of their agency history was filled with demonstrable records showing exactly how frequently people actively engaged to 'change the results" of an investigation... fully 30% of the time it was a political-appointee, or even an elected official thinking that by virtue of their "position" the rules were 'malleable' and they could "influence" their way to 'changing' the facts.

"I hate when these things drop in our lap," Gabriel continued "They're leaving the final decision to declare IIP to us."

Tim liked that..., Gabriel had said, "us" not "me."  Gabriel was turning out to be a singular leader, and Tim thought this just might be the right place for him.  He spoke up, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Gable considered that a good sign, if not professionally constructive; the offshoot of spearheading an IIP investigation was the risk of creating resentment and departmental friction, usually impacting the investigators with some intangible repercussions...  He had witnessed this first-hand.

Gable said, "Yes, there is Tim."  Coordinate the effort from here, Joshua will craft initial brief, Jules help him.  Tabby, come with me.

"You and I are going to investigations to fill in the gaps about this evidentiary lapse."  "Oi," said Tabby, "this is going to be ugly, isn't it?"  

"No," Gabriel offered, "It doesn't have to be... I think we are dealing with something here that is entirely an iceberg of a problem. But that's just my instincts poking at me."

Tabby mustered her energy, silently inhaled deeply and said "Maybe me and Jules should switch tasks... I mean that respectfully." 

Gabriel paused... offered a half-smile, and said "Jules, you OK with that?"  

Jules showed his quickness... "Oh! I get it... good cop, bad cop... right?"  Tabby and Jules laughed...

"I'll be honest." Gabriel said, "If what I think may have happened, actually did happen, we are going into a deep rabbit hole... bring your galoshes."

Joshua leaned in, looking at Tim ... "Ooooh, you know this is going to be interesting when Gabriel starts using 19th century words."

"When we come back, I'll give you the short version of this whole thing... but just to relieve some of the mystery I will tell you, we have found no 'victim' and can't locate Mr. Morrow."