deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A crime in Turkey... Was it just too easy?
I recently came upon an article... written in the vaguest terms possible, about a man who downloaded a couple of billions of dollars' worth of cryptocurrency on a thumb drive, and then slipped town.  I was wondering, because of the lack of 'reporting' detail (dates, times, etc.) if perhaps it was just a story for entertainment... but then I found more searching around ...

I though the tale... amended by the narrative I had just read, made for an interesting exercise in making it unclear as to whose narrative I should believe... the one hashed out in story-telling fashion, or the journalistic article I found later...

Join me...

From: HITB SecNews: He Emptied an Entire Crypto Exchange Onto a Thumb Drive. Then He Disappeared

... At 5:57 pm on April 20, 2021, the guard stamped his Turkish passport and Özer shuffled through the crowd to Gate C, a flash drive containing a rumored $2 billion in crypto stashed in his belongings.

After Özer’s plane reached Tirana, Albania, at 9:24 that night, he checked into the Mondial, a popular 4-star business hotel in the capital’s commercial district. A couple of days later, he looked at his social media accounts. A mob was very angry with him: Customers couldn’t access their money on the exchange Thodex, where he was founder and CEO, and people were accusing him of absconding with their funds...

He was the CEO of the company, Thodex—which had almost half a million investors and $500 million in daily trade volume.  A wonder that any one person could just 'take it' and run.

It's a short read, and when you're finished... here's the latest article I was able to cull from the internet.

From TurkishMinute.com: New indictment seeks up to 11,462 years in prison for crypto currency boss

Turkish prosecutors are seeking a prison sentence of up to 11,462 years in a new indictment against Faruk Fatih Özer, the former CEO of collapsed cryptocurrency exchange Thodex, for crimes including fraud, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Özer, 30, was already handed down an 11,196-year sentence years by a high criminal court in İstanbul in September.

He was extradited from Albania to Turkey in April, stood trial on charges of managing a criminal organization, aggravated fraud and money laundering, of which he was convicted.

I'm sure that I will never know the full details... but the description in the narrative seems out-of-sync with the 'criminal organization' boss, committing fraud and laundering money.  Why do sense this to be a legalistic endeavor to inflate fury to more easily punish someone for betrayal of confidence?