deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2012 Volvo S60 T6
Re : Flat Tire Conclusion

I did go with the U-Haul option this time around. I was a little hesitant about asking the same person for help AGAIN, so the price is 19.95 plus mileage and gas which comes out to about 30-35 when all said and done.

This project pretty much ate up an entire day. At 9:30 reserved a cargo van for 11:30; Town Fair appt. at 2:30. Started balancing the wheel at around 4:30; was done and had it back on the car around 6-ish.

Total cost for project about $150.00. I gave up on the whole matching tire brand ideology. Back in the day before I was getting the occasional flats with these low profile tires I would replace entire sets at a time. I then later thought that as long as it's on the same axle(front or rear) that I could get away with only replacing two, and these days my mindset is that replacing a single tire is okay as long as the specs are the same and the wheel is properly balanced - they all wear differently anyway.

I just hate throwing away good tires in the name of the change all same brand ideology. I think tire balance is more important than matching brands.

Still my least favorite part of auto maintenance is jacking the car. I'm still using the manufacturer designed jack points but they can become suspect after driving on salty winter roads after about a decade(or less), plus I'm not too far from the ocean here and drive there frequently. I noticed yesterday the one I was using seemed bent a little but not rusted out yet, thankfully. I've researched other jack points but am a little wary about using them.
As long as you are replacing the tire with the same size and profile you should be fine. Unless it’s an all- wheel drive, and they haven’t been rotated properly. That’s when you can see some issues arise with seals, bearings and cv damage. If not, it really should be ok.

My 2 cents.

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
I don't know what the deal is, but my tires don't seem to last long enough to make it to a rotation. The front right rim seems to be taking the worst beating from two flat tires, so maybe a rim rotation might actually be a good idea at this point.